Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate engine ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Jul 26, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I was looking into getting GM crate engine. I have found a (one site listed it as a new product) 350 TBI 4 bolt HD, listed for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and a standard 2 bolt. They are listed within $100 of each other. Other than the 2/4 bolt issue, what would be the difference? And for a DD which would you choose and why?

Thanks

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

maybe horse power, torqe??? Don't know why don't you email them and ask? Be interesting or if they have a number call them!

3. JBRATTON24

JBRATTON24 Registered Member

Most likely the difference in price is the 2/4 bolt. A 4 bolt is going to cost a little more due to the extra machining involved and for the fact it is a more desirable block. If you plan to do any upgrades down the road to produce more hp or torque or both, I would suggest the 4 bolt block. It is stronger and can handle higher hp applications. If you plan on leaving it alone and chunking it after it is used up, save the money and go for the 2 bolt. Out of curiousity, what is your source and how much? I am contemplating a crate motor myself vs rebuilding my existing 350.

4. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

JBRATTON24,

Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for. I didn't know if there were any other differnces between a HD engine and a reg 1/2 ton engine. I seached w/ google and also summit and jegs. Jegs price was like $1700.00 for 2 bolt and $1800 for the 4 bolt. Other sites with GM crates were about the same.

5. JBRATTON24

JBRATTON24 Registered Member

Your looking at the same ones I'm looking at then. I like the price of the GM Truck motor, but I really would like some additional hp over stock, so I'm still debating. If you go the crate motor route, let me know how it works out for you. I'd be interested in finding out its drivability and buyers satisfaction as it were (or buyers remorse, whatever).

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

There is also a diference in the compression ratio between the heavy duty and light duty GM TBI LO5 engines. Heavy duty had around 8.2 to 1. Light duty had 9.2 to one. I think the cams were a little different also. They used a lower compression ratio in the heavy duty to lessen the chance of pre detonation (pinging) under loads.
    If you are looking to make power make sure to check the compression ratio of the engine you are buying.

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

My biggest concern is durabillity(sp). I can always add HP down the road.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

IMHO A 2 bolt is fine for a TBI engine in a 1/2 ton truck. Unless you do some heavy load hauling or plan on going over 400 hp. Which is pretty hard to do with TBI.
    As far as duribility of a 2 bolt over a 4 bolt. There are many many 2 bolt 350 engines that go over 200K miles without a rebuild no problem.