Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CRATE ENGINE

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 7, 2001.

I WILL BE DROPPING IN A CRATE ENGINE FOR A 86 JIMMY, I WAS THINKING OF GETTING THE SAME 305 SO THERE WOULDN'T BE ANY NEED FOR OTHER PARTS OR FLEX PLATES, AND I HAVE GOOD REASON TO BELIVE A 350 WOULD KILL MY 700-R ANY REASON WHY A 350 WOULD? EXISTING 305/ 700 BOTH HAVE 132000 MI. ON THEM ANY THOUGHTS? OR PERSONAL EXPERIENCES W/ EITHER?

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

First, turn off the CAPS. Second, sign up with coloradok5.com Don't post questions like this in the ORD section. Post them in the 4x4 blazer (main) forum. To sorta answer your quuestion, most people on this site don't really like 305s and would go with a 350 any day. The 350 did come infront of 700r4s in the 80's. They aren't the strongest trannies but hold up against 350s that aren't running very high hp. A crate 350 has around 300 hp right? For more and possibly better answers, once again, post this in the 4x4 blazer (main) forum.

chevy4x4

P.S.- Welcome to coloradok5.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

just to add to the above (it's pretty much right on the nail head)
    Never cut yourself short on cubic inches of motor. You're in prime position to up your displacement for little or no extra cost and I think you should bump it up. The 700 trans has held up to way more than a 350 ci. crate motor and despite the age of your trans, you should be fine. It's not exactly going to breathe fire! If the trans craps after the motor swap, it was close to it's time anyway. Iwent through this with my 6.2L diesel trans behind a 383. The torque converter went shortly after the motor install, but the trans also had over 200K miles on it, so I didn't complain too loud.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. Triumph

Triumph Registered Member

I have an 84 Jimmy with 700r4 in it. I put a Goodrich 350 in it 5 months ago and everything is working great so far! Go with the 350! good luck with your project, Cord

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey, it's all about the diesel's torque. Oh, and the 15-20 mpg figures.

David

'85 'burban with goodies

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

yeah, yeah, a turbo'd 6.2 would be a good choice, but the up front cost was the reason I have a 383 in mine now. The rebuild on the 6.2 plus the turbo (about $2500 at the time) pretty much led me to swapping a gas motor. Course there are deals to be had......
    But going to a diesel could be more complex than a lot of guys want to get into also.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD