Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate motor on TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hardcore, May 22, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I went to Scoggin Dickey to research crate motors.
    I saw this motor, which I've seen in Jegs, 330 HP, 4 bolt. I figured I could add a TBI manifold for vortech heads nd be good to go

Crate motor: 330 HP

Scoggin says it can't be used for TBI. They say I need this 280 hp, 2 bolt :p block that is $1,000 more.
    TBI motor

WTF, is it because of emissions? I thought all the "extra" sensors for a TBI motor were all in the manifold.

:help: :help: :help:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    WTF, is it because of emissions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only imagine that you are correct, since on the main crate engine page, they have this warning: "Unless specified by GM, these engines should only be used in 1973 and earlier pre-emissions vehicles."

I'm *sure* everyone buying their 350 crate engines are putting them in '73 and earlier vehicles. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i agree on the smog junk. the only thing i can think of is the egr for vortec's come off of the exhaust manifold...maybe the tbi intake for vortec heads fixes that?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Keep digging around on their site. I think they used to offer a 350 HO with all the goodies required to bolt a TBI on top of it. Maybe it was in their engine shop section... You'll still need a bigger throttle body and a custom chip however. Your stock TBI stuff just wasn't designed for a 330 HP engine. They can probably set you up with those parts as well.

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I talked to a GM rep at a carshow once who said the engine had the wrong cam for tbi, but if replaced, it would work. You would need the intake manifold for vortech heads.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup. The cam in the 330 hp HO 350 Has too much duration for the stock chip in the computer to handle.
    You could use that engine but you would need to get a new chip burned for that cam. A bigger TB would also be a good idea. The stock 1 11/16" bore TB is only good for around 300 hp.
    The 2" bore TB from a 454 will work great.

You could also put a bigger TB on the sdpc2000 TBI performance engine to make more power. SD rates those engines with the stock TB. Flow more to them and they should make over 300 hp. 2 bolt main blocks aren't all that bad. They will handle 300-350+ Hp No problem. I have built some nice 2 bolt main engines that lasted a long time.

7. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I'd still lke the 4 bolt for insurance.

I have a 454 TB that I'm going to clean up a little and smooth out. I also plan on getting the vortec style intake and porting it a little to match the TB.

I really don't see the point in paying a grand more for the "TBI" motor if a slightly smaller cam is all I need.

Anyone with a ZZ4 or other GM performance motor and a TBI??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Spend the extra $1000.

But get the 383 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Who makes a good 383 long block for a TBI?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

these guys have one that's meant to replace 350 Tbi engines in trucks look under "crate engines" right here

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

that 383 is bad ass /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

It has Vortec heads so you need a Vortec intake, but other than that you're good to go.

You could probably build your own 383 a lot cheaper than $4000, since stroker kits are so cheap, but the GMPP one has the warranty