Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate Motor Q & A

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Oct 7, 2003.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I recently posted with questions on recommended motors and shops in Denver. The replies got me thinking (rare event for a mini-mind like me) and I wanted to dedicate a post to crate motors. I've done searches, but it's kind of a pain in the rear, because the phrase "crate motor" is in about 2/3 of all posts somehow. Soooooo... Without further ado, I want info and reviews of crate motors, but specifically, looking for anybody who has run Jasper motors, or knows anything about them. The 3 year/75,000mi warranty is appealing, no? I know they cost more than most blocks, but, warranty... C'mon, gimme some more info! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My cousin dropped a Jasper 350 in his 89 c1500. It does pretty good. It has about 50,000 on it now and will still smoke the tires. He seems pretty happy with it but I've also heard some bad things about their motors. Someone once told me they were rebuilt on an assembly line, but then again you know how hearsay goes /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif so take that $.02 for what it's worth.

3. chevyjunky77

chevyjunky77 Registered Member

From experience you are better off researching local machine shops. You tear down a rebuilt crate you might be suprised at what you see.