Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate Motor Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Mar 2, 2000.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Guys, I have been told (by a Toyota mechanic, no less, but a good guy and a knowledgeable one) that the new crate motors GM is putting out now have very low nickel content in the blocks and therefore tend not to last very long. Any comments or opinions? I love the fact that you can get a new ZZ4 for a decent price, but that comment he made makes you think.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

2. James Rusty 79

James Rusty 79 Registered Member

The more nickel you have in a block the less it is prone to cracking when you get it to hot or it freezes. Thats why the older 350 blocks in the late 70's are so much better becuase of the high nickel content. I hope this helps you out some.

James Rusty 79

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Man, I hope that aint true, b/c I just bought me one of them motors!
    Boss

4. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

Don't worry dude! I have well over 100K on mine and have beat the [censored] out of it. I just stuffed a good cam and intake on it too.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Some of those new crate engines are " Heche de Mexico " stamped in the back of the block. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Um, not in my American made Classic Chevy, thank you.

Well, unless it was a ZZ502. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I doubt those are made in mexico... hm i wonder which engines are heche de mexico and which aren't... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Heres my take on that.

First off, friend has dealt with a LOT of GM motors made anywhere from 1988-2001, and has said that for the mileage, newer blocks seem to exhibit LESS wear than the older ones (as measured by a ridge in the cylinder wall). Personal speculation would be that the newer blocks are machined/cast better (you only have to compare how clean head castings are from 1996 to 1976), and thus hold up longer, better.

Second, that nickel comment is a load of crap IMO. Ask someone that claims that older blocks have higher nickel where they got their data, and show some metallurgical research that proves it.

No one can, and apparently no one ever has. GM doesn't make that info public AFAIK, as I've never found anything that was backed up by actual research or GM literature.

At this point, saying that X block has more nickel (be it 010/020 blocks, or based on year) than Y block, is pure speculation, and should be avoided. Sure, you'll hear a lot of people agree, but where did they get their info? "well, so and so is a real pro, and he said so" or "my buddy who has been racing for 30 years said..."

I'm still collecting chunks of broken blocks for metallurgical testing if anyone wants to send me some /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I put 150000 on my crate 350 in my old El Camino.
    Just rebuilt it, block showed minor wear and crank didnt need to be turned.

8. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

You would be surprised at the amount of "American name brands" that no longer have stuff manufactured in the good ole USA. Most of the aftermarket stuff is made in Mexico, China, and other overseas places. Some of it is good stuff, some isn't. I've been talking to some old timers lately on this stuff while researching what parts to buy and where they are made for my big block Chevy engine project.

It sucks, but I literally can't afford to keep my American made GM product all American made. And every old-timer I talked to is pissed that most American manufacturing has gone overseas, only because its cheaper. I agree with those guys, and I'm pissed too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Sorry for the rage!

That is why the cost of these assembled engines and various kits are becoming more affordable, at least to the point where you aren't saving much money by doing it yourself. Now I say to myself that I'm doing this for my own satisfaction. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Now this is plain weird.............that original post of mine was back in 2000.............long time ago.............went and built my 400.............how did this post get revived????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    And every old-timer I talked to is pissed that most American manufacturing has gone overseas, only because its cheaper. I agree with those guys, and I'm pissed too! Sorry for the rage!

[/ QUOTE ]
    But I'll bet that all of those old timers will pick up the "cheap" part when they go to the store. If there are 2 similar items on the shelf, but one costs $80 and the other costs $40, most folks will pick up the $40 one, regardless of where it's made. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So eventually, the place that makes the part that they have to sell for $80 has a choice to make... Go out of business from lack of sales, or move their manufacturing overseas so that they too can be price competitive. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those Mexico blocks are thicker castings.