Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate Motor replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by redrightthand, Apr 2, 2002.

1. redrightthand

redrightthand Registered Member

I have an 87 K5 and am thinking about replacing the engine with a GM crate motor. Are there any major mods to putting something in that has a few more horses or should I just go with the stock replacement?

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i put the 330hp 350 in...changed out the clutch cause it was going anyway, other than that nothing else major and it runs fine...but the drivetrain is fine...and i had a stock 305 in it with 150? hp....

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't make a regular habit if of flooring it off the line, or hard downshifting if you get the 330HP. Everything will hold up, but I would recommend a BIG tranny cooler. If you like to play hard a new rear end might be in order. I destroyed my Govlock with my 250HP crate. If you have the govlock then take it easy off the line, no ruff stuff. Thats how I broke mine.

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The stock replacement motor has a 3 year 50,000 mile parts and labor warranty. Any performance from GM has no implied or written warranty not to mention the smog issues.
    The stock motor is a bolt-in swap. The 330 horse needs a different intake and some external EGR plumbing and prob. a new prom. I can help you either way...
    Jim

5. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

I recently purchased the stock 350 crate (250hp) and installed it in a 76 K5. I installed a new Edel. Q-jet, performer intake, x-treme comp cam AND had some other mods prior to this motor: all MSD Ignition, K&N, headers/flows. The throttle response and low-end torque is excellent for this truck/application.... AND Im going up this weekend to Sonora for a shakedown on this motor. It all depends on what you want your truck to do and of course your budget.....also, I recommend you change your motor mounts to the energy suspension poly mounts.....~$50.00 or so....

ANYONE want to guess what hp/torque I have in the motor??
    (I have no idea!)

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Just was wondering what my local gm dealer can do interms of chips or TBI upgrades? (since you're a gm parts guru). Also was wondering about your thought on some the TBI crates that supposable use stock ecm, prom, and tbi but make 330 hp. I know SDPD has some they list.

7. redrightthand

I'm in California so smog is a major issue. How much HP does the stock replacement have, is it better than what I have? You said you could help, did you mean with actual acquisition of the motor or tech stuff? I think I already have a line on the motor from the dealer for about 1700 +tax. I think that's a pretty good price? The stock replacement sound like the direction I'm going to go. The tech info is greatly appreciated.
    Jeff

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The dealer won't make performance modifications unless your bud works there and you guys make a deal on the side.
    Jet makes chips & tbi performance parts. The stock chip won't handle a camshaft that makes 330 horses. You can probably get a chip that will and pass smog req. also. SDPD sells GM performance engines and they also build their own combos none of wich will run correctly with the stock chip.
    You can get a sweet running combo but it does cost $$
    Jim

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

thanks... mostly just wanted to know if GM Perf parts was making chips or something I didn't know about.

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The stock replacement motor has around 250 hp. It's better than what you have now because it's brand new!!! $1700 sounds like a good deal on that motor. Don't forget about belts, hoses, thermostat, gaskets, water pump, mounts ect...
    I work at a chev. dealer & sell these all day. Where in so cal are you ? Let's make a deal...
    Jim

11. redrightthand

Everything on the motor has been replaced within the last 6-12 months i.e. belts, hoses, thermostat (this I would replace anyway) all new ignition (MSD), EGR, motor mounts, stuff like that. I would need new gaskets. What else would I need? What kind of deal are we talking about? The current motor runs fine but is burning about a quart of oil every 3000 mi. What I want to do is sell the old one and pay the $100 core to the dealer. What do you think the old one is worth? I don't need to do this right away as the current motor is working fine but want to do it soon. I live in Yucaipa Near Redlands/San Bernardino. Thanks for the info, give me something I can't refuse. You can e-mail or call me (909)227-8096

Jeff

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is no core charge when you buy a brand new GM motor.

GM performance crates DO have a warrenty. It is 1 year. I'm not sure how many miles, maybe 12,000, but it has a 1 year warrenty.