Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crate motor upgrades

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76GMCJimmyinAZ, Jul 18, 2000.

1. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

next dilemma... stock 350 (crate motor). warranty almost expired now, so I'm interested in improving performance some. I tow a fairly heavy boat on occasion, so I'm looking for more low to mid-range power. I have a performer intake, and dual dynomax exh system w/ crossover. what lo $$ upgrades to my motor will make the most difference? I'm thinking about a hi-perf ignition system and a cam to start with. Any of you guys tell me which are the best value while offering the biggest improvement in performance? (improved mileage wouldn't hurt either!)

Thanks for the input...

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

comp cams "270". headers and exhaust. roller rockers. high output ignition. bigger carb and intake

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You have a K&N air filter yet?

89 K5 Silverado

4. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

GM crate voids the 50K waranty with internal mods.
    Headers ignition and intake/carb all OK but leave the cam alone if you want to keep the waranty.

5. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

so I'm getting ready to order an MSD-6A ignition setup from Summit. Should I order just the box for $130 or is it worth the extra $60 to get the package with the blaster II coil?? Think I'll notice a big difference? Anyone that has this system, give me some feedback please!!!!

6. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

nothing to do with the motor, but what gears do you have? you will see the most improvment for the buck with a set; unless of course you have all ready done this.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

7. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

okay. stupid question here. I was relatively sure I knew how to figure the gear ratio. Isn't it the number of driveshaft turns versus wheel turns? I turned a rear wheel one time on jacks (whole rear end off ground) and watched the driveshaft turn. The ratio didn't seem to make sense... Fill me in and I'll check this weekend...

8. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

haven't done the K&N filter. big difference? I hear quite a bit about them, but haven't thought of trying it....