Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate motor with TBI?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENT, Nov 2, 2001.

1. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I have an 1989 k5 with a 350 motor and tbi. Is there a GM create motor that can be swaped in easily? I want to do this my self so I would like this to be as bolt in as possible (this will be my first engine swap). My budget is $2500 total.

Any sugestions?

Kent

1989 K5

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

gm perf. parts sells the "base" 350 H.O. (vortec heads, 330hp) for like $2100 and the manifold to put your tbi on it is like $300 also from gm perf. parts. i'll be doing that next year.

SWAMPERS RULE!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

3. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

how hard would it be to swap in a zz4 motor into that truck, would it be as easy as taking the intake manifold off and buying a efi kit?

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The direct replacement motor is about $2,000, with the heads. You get the block and the heads and have to use you intake and exhaust manifold. The ZZ4 and the other ones will work but you will have to do some modifications to the bolt holes to get the intake to fit correctly. I'm also not sure of the computer compatibility of the camshaft in those higher output motors. They're designed for a carb and not TBI so I'm not sure of the result.

You could for a lot less bucks have yours redone. You could pull it and have a machine shop do the motor. $2,500 would buy a killer motor. Something like Vortec heads, dish pistons to give a 9.5:1 compression, and a TBI compatible cam would give you a killer setup and a little left over for a fancy intake and headers. Maybe some MSD too, not sure about the box compatibility with that late model distributor though.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

5. therover87

what about the edelbrock efi kit to go along with that zz4 motor, cause i was looking at that for my 87, do you think that set up would work, what else would i have to change, and whats nice about that is that edelbrock burns you a chip according to the specs of your motor.

6. therover87

what about the edelbrock efi kit to go along with that zz4 motor, cause i was looking at that for my 87, do you think that set up would work, what else would i have to change, and whats nice about that is that edelbrock burns you a chip according to the specs of your motor.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IMO the ZZ4 is no good for a truck. Too big of a cam, and too much compression. It does have aluminum heads if I remember correctly. But it's still 10:1.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. therover87

what about the 383 motor that they offer?

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I believe those have vortec heads and Edelbrock thinks its funny to have a goofy and inconsistent line up of mpfi choices.

Here is how it goes...
    1)kit for pre '87 carb engine
    2)kit for TBI engines
    3)kit for the base vortec replacement (they wont burn a custom chip :-P )

What I would do is get the kit for the TBI engine. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mpfi_sb.html It uses alot of your old parts like the Throttle body (minus your old injectors), some computer stuff (they will burn you a new custom chip) and its half the cost of the pre '87 kit because your truck already has half the parts you need. If you decide to use vortec heads, you will have to get them machined to fit the intake. I'd just scrounge around and get some used vortecs and have them redone along with your motor. Should be a killer setup when you're done.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

10. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Problem is that this is my daily driver. I need to be able to do this over a weekend, or at most two. I was looking for some thing that was drop in.

Extra HP would be great, but I need to get to work on Monday!

Kent

1989 K5

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i agree with Tim, 10:1 compression ratio is too much. i want about 8.5 to 9.0 that's enough.

SWAMPERS RULE!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Scoggins-Dickey (big GM dealer) lists a replacement motor for $1840, including a $100 core charge.

The 330 hp 350 is $2096, I would guess decent compatability, but not a straight drop it in and go. Maybe need a chip or modify the manifold bolt holes (center 4).

They also list a couple short blocks in the $1100-1200 range.

Not suggesting you buy there, just using as a reference since they have a good online catalog.

As for 10:1, the stock TBI motor is 9.1:1. With Aluminum heads, you can run a higher compression ratio without detonation. So I wouldn't say 10:1 is out of the question with injection and Al heads.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

10:1 isn't out of the question with proper quench, aluminum heads, the proper air/fuel ratio, good gas, and the right ignition timing...but in something as heavy as a truck, especially a 4x4, it's getting close to the limit. It's not so much the compression of a ZZ4 that isn't any good for a truck though, it's the somewhat big cam that they come with.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

i get new crate engines for $1200.00 plus shipping.

15. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

The 350HO motor is very apealing. What are the issues with the manifold. Is this something that my local machine shop should be able to do?

Has anyone used this motor with stock TBI?

Kent

1989 K5

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The HO350comes with Vortec heads. You can't make your existing intake fit those heads, unless you really enjoy leaks. [​IMG] GM sells an intake that fits the heads and lets you keep your stock throttle body. It's $309 from Scoggins-Dickey.

Re: The Edelbrock MPFI discussion... I've talked with the Tech Support folks at Edelbrock about this and they told me that 1) Their MPFI is designed ONLY for a) a stock engine or b) a stock engine with Edelbrock Heads and TES exhaust system. 2) They don't offer custom chips for the MPFI for any other applications. 3) Their MPFI won't flow enough fuel to support the HO350 at high rpm. 4) They couldn't get the HO350 to pass the federal emissions test with their MPFI system. (Note this is not the same as the quickie test-at-ilde emissions tests that most states perform). I guess it just has too much cam. [​IMG]

On the other hand, the folks at Superchips said that they would burn a custom chip to work with the stock TBI on the HO350 for $325. [​IMG] While Ed at Fastchips said that he didn't think that the stock TBI would provide the full 330 HP that a 4-barrel carb provides on that engine.

Going back to the base question, your quickest, simplest solution is to order this: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&amp;catid=128&amp;pid=100>http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&amp;catid=128&amp;pid=100</a> It's a direct replacement for your current engine and comes with a 3 year / 50,000 mile warranty. The HO350 is a very nice engine for the money, but you'll need to spend more cash to get it to run corectly.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

17. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

My bad on the manifold. I was thinking it may have the old style (pre '87), didn't even think about the Vortec heads. The link in the last post is where I got the $1840 I posted above.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

18. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Thanks that was what I was looking for.

Kent

1989 K5

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey Kent, long time no see! HOw's the truck? Did you get the axles installed? Disk brake rear?

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

20. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I bought a replacement crate motor from GM that was of 1994 vintage for my '88. It was rated at 270 hp. To that I added a hypertech chip, rebuilt the tbi, msd ignition, k&amp;n filter, b&amp;m prepped tranny and swapped in 3:73s locked front and rear. This was done over lots of weekends. The point is the stock motor and some time and you,ve got a great rig. Mine used to be my daily driver. Harry is right, the stocker is your best bet.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.