Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crate motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kw48653, May 25, 2004.

1. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Seems alittle on the high priced side to me, even with the few modifications done to it.

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

stock GM crate motor, 260hp, 50k mile warranty.. 1200.00

if you want high-perf go with the 350HO... its around 2200.00 or so and puts out 330hp/380lb ft...

-Ryan

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have lived in AZ since 1983, all I have ever heard of that company is their little ads in the back of the Auto Trader. You could get a real factory crate motor for that kind of money or LESS ( which will make 310 hp with very few tweaks ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Get the GM crate motor with the warranty. Check out Scoggin-Dickey, I think they usually have the best prices on motors. It's www.SDPC2000.com

-Chris

6. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Jegs had the best overall deal on a GM crate engine. Good price, good waranty /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. kw48653

those guys do have some great looking stuff. do ya'll see any problems getting the computer to work well with the ho motors? i noticed in lmc that edelbrock gives you a chip if you buy the whole top-end package. one of those maybe?

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i noticed in lmc that edelbrock gives you a chip if you buy the whole top-end package. one of those maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

That still doesn't help with the bottom of the motor, which is where the death rattle is. If you were to go with a GM crate motor, you could call Turbo City and give them the specs on your truck, the motor, and your driving habits, and they'll burn you a chip that'll get you on (or off...) the road again. May not be perfect, but you can probably work with them to get it dead-on.

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have a GM goodwrench 350 Medium Duty crate motor. I bought it in Summer of 2000 and broke the crankshaft within a year. All I had to do was take to a dealership and they installed a new one at no charge. That was pretty cool. Having a warranty is always nice. You just cant tear into the motor and add internal components otherwise you'll void warranty. The one I bought came without an intake and I had to grind my tbi intake to make it fit the heads on this crate motor. I'm sure they offer a crate with heads that will basically bolt to your tbi.
    I also agree with Turbo City... they know fuel injection and performance!

10. df

df Registered Member

My 85 305 may have this death rattle? What is it exactly?

thyx

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

That is a very nice engine. That's a good price for a performance TBI engine. Free Shipping. Its a 4 bolt main. Most TBI crate engines are 2 bolt. Also it is balanced thats a big plus. Even (Bling Bling) Chrome valve covers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Dont think you will get 310 hp out of that engine with a stock TB/ chip. But with the right mods you will get close. From the specs they list it should run good on a stock chip.
    I would call and see what kind of cam is in it.
    Looks like a good deal to me.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you checked these guys out?

engines

Don't know a bunch about them, except there is an "outlet" (I suspect they are just selling through distributors) very near my house, and a friend of mine got a Chev straight 6 from them for pretty cheap, and has had no problems with it.

Had I known what I know now, I probably would have looked seriously at a 4 bolt main Vortec headed roller cam engine from those guys, because with an aftermarket roller cam figured into just about any engine buildup, I don't think dollar-wise you can beat a stock roller cammed rebuild.

Still advertising a 70,000 mile warranty too, but no idea what kind of strings are attached.

13. kw48653

do you know where to find the 1200 one?

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

if its the target motor with 8.5 -1,,,,i wouldnt get it if your in cal or have to worry about any smog crap.I got one,and found out later,most of the motor would have to be upgraded to perform the way i wanted it to. a whopping 190 hp /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif from the fact.If you have to deal with what i did,i would suggest buying something else,or rebuilding the one you have now. Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. dyeager535

Yeah but whats the torque at say 2000RPM?

HP isn't everything in a truck engine, not even close. Even the worst smogger 350's put out some decent low end torque.

Not saying 190 isn't pathetic, but makes for a reliable engine with decent low end power, if nothing else.

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

gosh i dont know.what is the tourqe???not good probobly.I wish i built a 383 instead,just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. dyeager535

Copied from sallee chev's forum.

"I have an issue of "chevy hi performance" that ran a dyno test of this engine at the crankshaft and here's the numbers...
    324 ft-lbs @3700rpm
    239 hp @4100rpm...
    It makes over 300ft-lbs from 3600 - 4100 rpm's.
    At 2500rpm it made 278ft-lbs,
    and at 5300rpm it made 210ft-lbs"

This sounds like its a bit hotter than what you have, but that answer is in response to what kind of torque a goodwrench 350 makes.

18. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Just take a latemodel vortec 350 shortblock out of a 96-99 pickup and bolt your heads and intake to it and go. You can even get an intake that lets you use the vortec heads with your tbi setup. IMO the vortec heads are well worth the money. a friend of mine gained close to 75 hp with vortec heads with hipo springs, rockers, and a nice cam. I almost did it, but decided to go with a vortec of a different breed. A 6.0 vortec............... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Remington

19. kw48653

pretty cool remington, i read about that swap in one of the magazines this month.

20. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Werd on the 6.0. Don't tell anybody but I'm hoping to drop a 6.0ho/4l65e in my 72 by the end of the year wife willing. Without all of the smog crap I'm looking at right around 400hp/430ft/lbs stock. With a cam some long tubes an intake and a good tune I'm hoping to be in the 450/450 range but we'll see.