Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate Motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cusm, May 3, 2000.

1. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Who here has got one of these? And which one did you get? I am looking at the cheap 350 model (my budget is low), I think they refer to it as the generic model for up to 85 models. I am curious how much HP and how good this engine is. I was going to go w/ used or rebuilt, but for about $500 more I can get the 3yr/50K warranty, seems like it is worth. This is for my daily driver, and it won't be on the trail or hauling anything. I would just like to feel like I have a little power under the hood.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Cusm,

I bought a crate motor about a month ago. I bought the cheap ones too. They told me the HP is around 190-210, they wasn't sure, so I will go with 200. Great motor man. I just put 500 miles on it. I got 35" tires and that motor definately moves my truck. Money was the reason I didn't go with the 350 HO too. But this is definately a great engine(so far atleast).
    Boss

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I seem to remember someone saying there was a problem with the nickle content of the block in the GM crates. I talked to my mechanic and he said he could rebuild a 350 four bolt with a better intake and heavy-duty heads for around the same price as a crate, with better performance and overall power. He didn't say anything bad about a crate motor, but told me you could definitely get more bang for your buck with a good rebuild.

4. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I bought one from Jim Pace Pontiac and I love it. Have had it for three weeks and it works great. Ordered it for $1249 plus shipping there was no sales tax where they were at.

5. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at crate motors myself. My friend reccomended something called a Target motor, which is basically a GM 350. Anyways, I was looking at rebuilt motors. I asked a guy how much it would be to build and install a 350 with an RV cam and flat pistons (my TBI pistons are kinda cupped.. damn TBI killing my compression) Just to build and install the rebuild (I'd rather have them install it, when a truck has comp. stuff in it, you don't screw around with it)with what I wanted was around $2,300!!! It's probably be worth the money, but I can't just spend over 2K on my truck, yet. I still have to get it to pass inspection. Driving arround illegally is fun.. untill you get caught.
    - BTW, my motor stopped fouling the plugs.. I don't know how.. but it stopped. I think my truck is haunted....

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I dropped a used crate into my truck. It had about 10k on it. It is awsome! It is the base model but it really get the fat pig 79 it's in up and moving. I was really impressed with how much power it has. It idles so even and smooth if it wasnt connected to Flowmasters with the hood down you wouldn't hear it running.
    The only thing I will warn you to check is this motor had the valve covers over torqed and were leaking. It still had the factory paint over the nuts so I would take a good look at them when you get the motor. The motor has not needed any oil since it was installed about 9 months ago (over due by time not miles, its the wifes grocery getter). Getting ready to get it on a Syntetic oil next change.
    As for the guy saying he could rebuild for $1200. Maybe but his rebuild doesn't come with a 50k warranty does it? I priced it out and a stock build with the machine work was about the same price when you add it up. Yeah the Nickle is a lower content but the way I look at it I doubt I will have the truck long enough to wear the motor out even if it goes at 150k (about 50k sooner than the stock 79 did).
    If you need a motor in a hurry I sure would go with the crate motor. I have been super impressed with mine. The only thing that may be an issue is depending on the year truck your putting it into you may have a choke problem. I got lucky and had the hot air style and just converted to electric for $27. The intake that came on this motor does not have the provision for anything but electric. Now like I said I got mine used and it maybe that you can order one with the correct intake.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Grim, glad you addressed the Nickel content questions. I have heard that a couple of times, and the question remains how much life could that take away from the motor. Seems you feel it won't really hurt it. Question - my 406SB has developed a rod knock, has an 87 IROC TPI system on it, have gone back and forth on the debate about rebuild or crate. The question is will the TPI system (and its' intake) bolt onto the Vortech heads that come on the 350 HO version of the crate motors? I will absolutely keep the TPI, an awesome improvement. Thanks in advance, guys, for the tech info.......

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Why not grab a short block and use your heads and TPI?

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing except for the TPI. I had an old 4 bolt short block rebuilt and put new Vortec heads on it. It was cheaper than a full crate motor and makes plenty of power.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

How far did they ship it? I live in cali and the cheapest crate I've found is $1400

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Eagle - That is an option, though I would like the added power of the new crate. The heads on it now are off the '87 IROC, might need some work themselves too. Plus I am not sure what kind of damage I will find when I open up the bottom end of the 406, and it having been rebuilt about 5 years ago (seems not properly) boring it out after the initial .030 over on a 400 block may not be a great idea, cooling wise. Guess I'll have to decide pretty soon, doing the swap or rebuild as soon as I get moved from Western PA to Oregon in ONE MONTH. Can't wait to get out of the SALT/RUST belt so I can drive my K5 in winter again.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

if you go to <font color=blue>http://www.paceparts.com<font color=black> and look around they got motors brand new a lot less then the crates...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

13. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Hey 78K5

How far did they ship it to you? And what was frieght charges? I hope to get one in the next 2 weeks. Then I will be able to start the other projects on the beast.

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Hey 78K5

They shipped it to me from Ohio to MD. I think it was Ohio? Anyways, it cost me $130 for shipping. it took about 5 days. The thing was a beauty when it arrived, I tell you.
    Boss

15. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Give them a call. They are real helpful. I called Pace with some Q and A and the guy ran down all sorts of options for motors. and Heads

16. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Re: Hey 78K5

It's in NILES , OHIO near Youngstown. Northeast Ohio, ten minutes from me , real good guys there.