Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate Motors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dvldog 70k5, Nov 27, 2004.

1. dvldog 70k5

dvldog 70k5 Registered Member

I was thinkin here down the road if it's in my budget I might want to get a new crate motor for my Blazer. I'm no mechanic or motor head so I dont want something I need to buy a ton more parts for because it's only half way to a turn key motor. Basically im looking for something that is complete as possible and pretty much ready to just bolt in and run. Down the road I will also look in to upgrading my tranny to a 700R.

So if you wanted to buy a new crate where would you recomend for info/ prices on them. Would you go direct with the dealer? What's average to spend on labor to put them in? And what kind of warranties usually do you get with a new motor? Thanks for the help again. This site rocks for sure..... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Nick

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

look at scroggin dickey's web site sdpc.com they got some good one's

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Can't beat a GM Goodwrench motor. 3 year 50,000 mile warranty.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

come on, it's ONLY 22 grand
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I put a GM crate in mine ... eek, six years ago now? Simple, reliable, NEW -- not reman like you'd get from Kragen, etc.

Yeah, you can get hi-po fancy ones from various places (GM included) ... but the $1500 or so I spent on that stock replacement motor does me just fine, both on the pocketbook and under the pedal. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Call around to local dealers, too; I have three or four handy, and there was a few hundred dollars' difference between dealers! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

-- A

9. whiskey bent

whiskey bent Registered Member

It really depends on how much you want to spend, GM Goodwrench sells some serious turnkey horsepower. I would go for a fastburn 383 or maybe a 454ho/zz502 if money allowed. It all depends on yer budget, even the "mild" small blocks from GM are real nice, high quality pieces.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

12. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got a complete turn key motor from Pace Performance a few years back. Was a little pricey ($2200)but has been beatin on really good plus it has the 3 year 50000 mile warranty.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen several of the shops in my area use the "goodwrench"replacement motors with no real problems--one did have a rod knock when they started it up,and had to swap it for another one(it was in a van too! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif)one rod cap didnt have both bolts in it--one was in the pan!.But that was probably a fluke--the "goodwrench" motors arent very powerful in stock form though.And be aware the warranty only apllies if you are putting the motor back into a truck that originally came with that motor--in other words,if you buy a 350 "goodwrench" motor and put it in a 65 chevelle--no warranty!--I was at the parts counter at a local dealer one day and witnessed a very heated argument over this--the guy bought a 350 for a truck that had a 305--according to the parts guy and the info sheet on the counter,that voids the warraty. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

http://paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=24755

I put this motor in my 83 about 18 months ago,
    I have put damn near 20k miles on it and beat it hard.
    I have had 0 issues with it (except for forgeting to plug the pass side dip stick hole and having a major oil leak till I reailed what ID done.) Ived towed with it and pulled at least 100 cars out of ditches in the winter. It was by far the second best thing I ever did to my truck. 1100$ with a 3 yr 50k warrenty. It also will turn over my 35s with the lil 3:08 gears. Im very happy with it.

15. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been looking at this one in my Jeg's catalog...

any opinions on it? i mean it's not turnkey... but sounds good to me

[/ QUOTE ] No warrenty scares me !!!! This is half the price and has a 7 year / 70,000 mile warrenty. And they will do preformance builds for a few bucks more and give a warrenty.

17. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

Some of these engines say this:

1) light duty and passenger car
    2) HD ONLY
    3) Motor Home Engine

What is the difference between all of these in regards to how they come out of the crate and available mods for the future? Will a HD engine work in a LD truck? SMOG?

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Some of these engines say this:

1) light duty and passenger car
    2) HD ONLY
    3) Motor Home Engine

What is the difference between all of these in regards to how they come out of the crate and available mods for the future? Will a HD engine work in a LD truck? SMOG?

[/ QUOTE ] Best thing I can tell you is to call them (800) 942-7800. I'm sure they can tell you what you need to know better then I could.

19. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

20. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I put a ZZ4 (350 SBC) in my 71 GMC a couple years back. It is a great motor. Very smooth and reliable. They go for about $3400 and they have the forged crank, distributor and intake installed, and have been test fired at the factory. However even with the 400+ lb ft, I probably would do it differently if I was starting over.
    After driving and modifying diesels for the past few years, I've come to care a lot less about HP and more about torque. My Duramax with Juice has about 375HP which is comparable to the ZZ4. But the Dmax torque is in the 800 lb ft range. Even though it is a dually crew cab, it will completely roast the ZZ4 Jimmy in a race.
    Next time I'd buy a big block. Even a cheap heavy iron head BBC will have near 400lb ft. After a year or two you can upgrade the heads and cam and get another 100lb ft at least.
    Just my lessons learned.....
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif