Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate Motors...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Mar 13, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to put a new motor in my truck, and am looking mostly at the GM Goodwrench Performance Parts engines. The 383HT was appealing but it is too expensive now (more than the 454HO)...
    My question is who has bought crate motors from other sources, like Summit (recon remans), or Napa? Speedomotive has some good looking stuff too, but they say there is no warrenty, and I have a little trouble plopping down 4K to an out-of-town firm with no warrenty....
    Any opinions or advice?

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put a zz4 350 from GM Preformance, I`m glad I did!! Yes, it was difficult dishing out the cash, but it was well worth it!!! This motor came with a unconditional 1 year warrantee!!! The GM 350 HO is a very good buy, I`ve seen them go for about $ 2100. After adding up all the high performance parts that are put into these motors like: Vortec heads, steel crank and etc., you realize you are getting a pretty good deal!!! Now my truck flies on or offroad!!

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I run a 350 HO crate and i agree,,,It was the best thing i did!
    After putting in Crane gold race roller rockers, headers, airgap manifold, and this weekend Fuel Injection, I would have to say it was worth the $.

4. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I also bought a crate motor, just dropped it in the day before yesterday, but i cant testify to any performance yet since i havent fired it up, but the 502 should put some decent numbers up.

5. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I have the GM goodwrench 350 crate in my truck. it has a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty. It's a 4 bolt main w/ the 2 piece rear main seal (they switched to one piece in 86) This motors specs are 250 HP and 315 lbs/ft torque, or something very close to that. Best thing about this motor is that I picked it up from a local chevy dealer for $1,300. It does not come with an intake, harm balancer, fly wheel, water pump, ect. All that is purchased separately, or re-used. Also for a little extra you can get the one w/ the on piece rear main seal.

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

We put a ZZ4 350 in my dad's truck, he bought it at the local GM dealer, I can say enough about the motor, yeah it's alot of money but it is really smooth and strong. We also put a 350 in my brothers car also bought at the local dealer, I think it was rated at about 220hp, it also runs great and is very smooth. I have just been very pleased with the GM crate motors.

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I bought a '96-00 L31 vortec 350 crate motor for a guys blazer. Installed the "hot cam" kit which included 1.6 roller rockers. Had to remove the heads to machine the valve seal and spring pockets. At the same time drilled the heads for coolant bypass from the water pump. Installed Performer RPM intake.

Truck runs real nice, .525" lift cam, roller rockers AND stock valve covers. What more could you want?

The way I figured it the L31 motor was a better deal than the HO350. L31 has roller cam and balancer installed. Same basic compression, crank, rods and 4 bolt mains. We wanted a roller cam so upgrading the HO would have add a few $$.

8. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I think the ZZ4 is going to get the nod...it is complete except the carb (Which will be an Edelbrock Q-Jet) and produces quite a bit of power without too much cam. What kind of gear and tire combos are you guys running with ZZ4's (or comparable engines)?

9. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    I sprung for the 383, and gave the wife an I.O.U. for Christmas. She's NOT happy, but the K5 runs like a raped ape....................................

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Mine is a ZZ4 with a Turbo 400. I have 35" tires and 4.10 gears.

Previous to the turbo 400, I had a SM465 with 3.42 gears and 35's. It was a good setup too.

Runs very well. I like it.

John

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I`m running a 350 trans, 4.10 gear and 35 in. tires, my neighbor wanted to race (she has 70 Chevelle w/300 hp 350), After I took her for a ride, she changed her mind, I guess she didn`t want to stare at my tailights!! I also enjoy eating Dodge Rams and FORDs!!!