Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crate motors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnnysjimmy, Apr 10, 2002.

1. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

Has anyone bought a crate motor from GM lately? I am looking into buying the 250 horse motor for my 73'. I am too busy to build one right now! I am looking into building a small block 400

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i just bought mine...picking it up tomorrow from the terminal. will let you know how it goes.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

World Products (the people that make DART) have a 415 cid SBC that is suposta be pretty stout. It's alittle pricey, but well worth the extra $$$ If I was going to buy a crate motor, that'd be the one. You can order it with the cam of your choice.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I bought mine about a year ago...No problems other then valve cover leaks...Dan

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

In the past year my dad and my brother have gotten 350 crate motors from GM. One was a ZZ4, and the other was a 225 horse I think. They both have been great motors so far.

6. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

If your looking for something to put in until you build the motor you want, I have a completly rebuilt and machined 307. It is complete from pan to manifold. Is just like buying a crate motor. I am wanting around $750.00. This has 0 miles on it.
    Just thought I would offer.

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

My experience with crate motor:
    I bought a medium duty 350smallblock goodwrench motor in Dec. 00'. In June of 00' I spun two main bearings and broke the crankshaft!
    Luckily, It was under warranty. I had a dealership replace and reinstall the motor for free! I've had good luck so far. Hopefully, this doesn't happen again. I'm thinking 502 next time. He he.
    Juan

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was in your boat with my first crate too. My dad bought the 250hp crate from GM, and with about 15K on the motor the oil seals on the drives side rear two pistons went. I was in Northern AZ when this happened, and it was 300 miles back to Phoenix. I replaced the spark plugs in the two bad cylinders (completely fouled) and then started home. It made it home (barely) and GM replaced the motor for free.

9. Hossbaby50

P.S. I got the 300hp crate to replace the stock replacement crate, and it has worked flawlessly for 35K+.

10. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

I recently put in a 250 hp crate in my 76K5.... We put it a comp cam (x-treme), new Q-Jet (750cfm), All MSD ignition, headers, Flows, K&N.....(added ~+40 hp) I have ~3000 miles and ran it recently up in the snow/mud in Sonora with some good revs on the engine when I got stuck.... Runs very well, with great low end & torque/throttle reponse.............. No problems so far..Its a good engine for the $$$$ Its got my recommendation!

11. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've bought two new 350 crate motors from Sallee Chevrolet. One was the 350/300hp crate and used it about 12k before swapping to a 383 and then to a 427. The other was a 350 heavy duty for my father-in-law's mini-motorhome. It ran about 20k before exploding outside Kingman, Arizona last week. Turns out the crank broke and at least 1 rod went south. Still in Kingman awaiting replacement at the Chevy dealer there. Supposed to be warrantee, hope so. Before that happened, thought it was the way to go, not sure now.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The "WORLD PRODUCTS" Motown 415 has a 2 year / 24,000 mile warrentie.

13. Hossbaby50

How much does the Motown 415 run, and what are its power numbers? What RPM do the power numbers come at? Thanks

Harley

14. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

Thanks for all the help guys! Hopefully I will not run into the bad luck some of the motors have had

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

16. Hossbaby50

I didn't see the more engine info link when I looked earlier. Sorry. Heck, if a 415 SBC short block is $5K and a 632 BBC shortblock is $6K I think the extra 200 cubes might be the way to go. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If I was going to spend that much on a motor i would by myself a Beck Racing Engine. The offroad 383 with 400hp and 450 ft/lb for $5-6K. That is for the complete motor too.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The local dealer for "WORLD PRODUCTS" here in Rapid City, SD wants just over 7 grand for a turn-key Motown 415.