Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate or beefed 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Feb 12, 2002.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I want to get my rig to around 330-400 hp. It is a 1986 350 with about 120K miles (odometer isnt correct). Its stock except for the usual K&N air filter and exhaust. Do you think it would be better to beef it up or swap in a crate motor? Also, I live in the Bay Area of CA so smog is very strict. So emissions is a huge deciding factor. Any ideas? Any advice would be appreciated. I was thinking a HP cam and carb to start it off.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.

2. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

I couldn't tell you as I too am considering such options. I just thought I would give you somehting to read instead of checking every few hours to see that only a few people have checked out your post and that no one has replied. It kinda sucks that when you make a post and you are deciding on a title you have to think up sneaky ways to get people to atleast view it, let alone take time out of thier way to help you. I'm not saying that I try to trick people but, the truth is that it makes a difference as to what you say. The guy that is sitting in his garage with bloody hands trying to get his new motor to turn over, will get less responses to his cry for help than a post about whether or not you were wearing boxers or briefs when you bought your rig. Good luck with your post.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well I would say crate... here is why...
    I bought a 1991 Vortec 9C1 police 350 4 bolt.. .sounds good ehhhh...
    well it has almost 50k miles on it...
    Hydrollic roller cam/lifters
    rated at 260+hp.
    Well Jegs sells vortec heads which is 30-40hp gain so they say...
    now we are at 300
    between carb, intake, headers and flowmasters you can get another 40hp
    so now you are at 340hp +/- roughly
    now the cost..... new onto my motor then used....

motor $600 + Heads $500 + carb $350 + intake $150 + headers $150= $1750 roughly to get a 50k motor to approx 340hp. Still about $1000 cheaper than a crate....but a crate is new...
    now I can get a intake still new for $150 and carb for $75 ( holley [i know they suck] 650 double pumper ) headers $60+ used heads for $300 now we are at
    $600+150+75+60+300= $1185

so I am gonna go new and used but for about $1200 I will have a good running truck.....

well that is what I am gonna do.. maybe it gave you a few ideas....
    also I payed $600 for my motor but the guy threw in the oil cooler unit which he charges $150 for normally so I actually payed $450 for the motor and bought the oil cooler....

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/31084112FenSPdZOrR>Pics of buildup</a>78 Chevy 3/4 - 14" on 40"x17x16.5 Hawgs

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

damn... i hit the esc key and lost my 500 page book to ya....

here is something else you need to look at....
    why 3-400 hp? is there a reason? 3-400hp sinks just as fast as 1000hp if you dont have the running gear to back it up with.... if you have been driving your truck and you like it.... but it just hesitates a bit.... maybe a fresh touchup of cam/lifters/bearings/carb will make a better responsive motor.... how about lower gears... I had 33's with 3.73's great on the highway but when I went to 4.56's I liked it so much more.....you got alot to consider....
    do homework on stuff you are thinking about getting and figure out the hp rating for each....
    like if I got these heads I could gain ......
    or
    this cam/lifter package will give me a little bit better response and not sacrifice emmissions.....

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/31084112FenSPdZOrR>Pics of buildup</a>78 Chevy 3/4 - 14" on 40"x17x16.5 Hawgs

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would say crate. Thats what I did. A couple years back my dad bought the 300hp GM crate which is now the 330hp crate. It runs great. Right after we had it put in it went to emissions in Phoenix which is strict on emisions and it passed with flying colors. I had to take my truck in for the emissions test during my Xmas break, and it still passed with flying colors. I did take it to my mechanic, and he dialled it in on the scope, but he didn't mess with it to make it pass the e test. I just made real sure that my cats were nice and hot when I took the test, and my emissions were less then half of the maximums. I do run MSD ignition which might help a little too. My motor is 3 or 4 (don't remember) years old and it still passes a strict emissions test with ease. And the 330HP crate is in the power range you want. It also comes with a 3yr/36000mile warranty too.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.