Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate VS. Rebuild...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLDSTEEL, Mar 15, 2000.

1. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

It is about time for me to breath new life into 74. I did a basic rebuild about 40K miles ago and just want more HP now. I've seen some crate motors in several mags, that claim to produce 300HP, has anyone installed on of these motors? If so what do you think about it? My other option is to bore and stroke, I am looking at 383ci. I would appreciate some input from you guy's on which way to go.

Thanx

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at the same thing except it for a 1989 TBI 350. I've now pretty much ruled out a crate engine due to the $$$ factor. My current plan is a rebuild kit form summit racing and have the local machine show rebuild my engine. Still waiting for a reply from Summit on whether I should go to the 383 or use a "good" 350 kit. For the money, if you can park your rig for a while, you'd probably be money in to get a rebuild done with a master kit from PAW or Summit or whoever. If your block is shot, maybe the crate is the way for you to go. It all comes down to available funds.

Good Luck

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>there's an article in this month's 4x4 Power about the Summit crate 350. It looks good, but i didn't see the price. The article said it made 360 HP. I went with a whole rebuild on mine last fall. I had it bored .030 over, new forged pistons, decked to 9.5:1, Edlebrock carb and performer intake, headers and dual exhuast. it set me back 1200, but that's a whole lot cheaper than a crate.</font color=blue>

4. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Crate has a 3 year warrenty?
    John

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well let me ask you fellers this...if money was not the problem, (thank you Hoosier Lottery 1996) would you go for the crate motor? I think for all the hassles a complete 350 330 hp new with 3 year warranty/50,000 miles for 3 grand is not that bad a deal.Slap a set of headers on it and away you go. Might as well spend the money on the Blazer. Finding women folks into the teddy bear look is getting harder all the time...

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I would definitely go the crate motor route next time. Check out Saleen Chevrolet ( I will have to look up their web address at work). I have $6000 in my 327 to get 400 HP. Now you can get the same HP and more torque for alot less money when buying a GM performance crate motor. I do like the fact that I can run my engine at 5500 rpm for 1.5 hours before stopping for fuel and not worrying if it will stay together or not. It is just a matter of your preference. My motor was built for racing mud drags by a speed shop and you pay for what you get. If you buy a rebuild kit from Summit or PAW you get stock components and borderline performance parts in their kits. If you want reliable high performance expect to put a few thousand into your motor. In a trail rig HP isn't really important because HP is more of a top end measurement. Torque is a low end measurement and what trail rigs need most. How often are you running your motor at 5000 rpm's crawling over a rock? That's why Big Blocks and stroker motors come in handy on the trail. With the higher torque numbers of these motors make them desirable for trail rigs. Just my $.02 Go with your gut.

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

7. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The new HT383 crate looks sweet, i called around and it's so new the dealers don't have a price yet but one dude said he thinks it would be in the high 2s to 3K. If I had the cash I would have orderd on of these puppys allready!!
    Good Luck

Rock ON!

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Guys, I love the idea of a factory motor with warranty, etc. Heard the crate motors are made with blocks that have much lower nickel content than the originals, and don't last as long. Told this by a pro mechanic (though he is a Toyota guy :( so not sure how reliable the info is) Anyone hear this or is this hogwash?

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

10. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I just did a very complete rebuild on a 350, I assembled it with good parts, not a kit. It cost me $1950 for a long block with new balancer. It runs great and I haven't had a problem. I could have bought a crate motor for $1450 and a cam kit for $120 and had almost the same thing. Except you get the warranty with the crate motor and you don't have to put it together. My engine will probably last longer and probably makes more hp/torque than the basic crate engine but I would still choose the crate. If you don't do a cam you just bolt it in your truck and your done.

11. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

The first and last Chevy 350 I rebuilt was in 1979. Bought a 4 bolt main for $100 out of a dump truck, put less than $900 in it and put it in a 1974 Landcruiser. That motor is still on the road today, with more than 330,000 miles on it. All I did was follow the rebuild book to the letter. Knowing that any part can fail at any time, I suppose some luck is responsible for its longevity, but financial circumstances dictated this course of action. Although I'm a little better off financially now, I don't think I would pay the extra dollars for the comfort of a warranty.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The pros ands cons of both sides are pretty good, but I would go with a rebuild myself. I built mine in 93 I now have 225,000 on it and never had to do any thing to the enternals of the engine except change the oil. I just used good quality parts and shoped around untill I got a good price. Besides it's a hell of a lot funner tourquing down those rods and mains your self, and if the factory can build a 330 HP engine then so can anyone else all it really comes down to is cam, heads and compression nothing real fancy just good old engine building.
    Corey 78K5

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I tell ya what I opted for a rebuild 20k miles ago, got the motor from a rebuild shop, had my dad put it in with some back water hill-billy shade tree yahoo...Now I have oil leaks around the fuel pump, the oil pan gasket ls leaking..they removed all of the smog equipment, used the old Q-jet. I was doing some wheeling this weekend and as I was going up a very steep hill I lost control and started to slide down the hill sideways, the engine stalled and now oil is leaking from the valve covers. If I had to do it all over again I would get the summit 350 with the aluminum heads i think it was about 2400$ OR I would have gotten a gm lt1...I say rebuilds from a reputable company and never do business with relatives!!