Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CrAzY Brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Aug 27, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok, its been doin this for a while and im finally tired of it. everytime i go muddin in tracy (the k5) her front brakes always jack up, first of all the rear ones barely work to my knowledge, anywho, either the front right, or front left almost quit, and i start getting like 60% from one of them, but the other is ok, and this is an 87, been well taken care of, not abused, and it is impossible to lock up any of the brakes, is this normal, or should they lock with full pressure, and yesterday, i mash the brake and the gass to figure sumpin out, and i don't burn out, and nothin breaks, i jus start inchin forward about 3 mph, wtf is up with that, i really do not trust my brakes, if a lil kid runs in front of me, there is no hope, any help appreciated, btw, master cylinder was jus replaced and helped a lil, thanks in advance

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? And did you bleed the rest of the system well. Judging from your attempt at a power stall, I'd say your rear brakes work. Drum brakes never do work well when wet. I'd look up front. Calipers are cheap.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Myth: Rear brakes are self adjusting
    Fact: Rear brakes do not self adjust worth S$%@, I adjust mine after each wheeling trip.

Also may be worth taking a look at your rear cylinders to see if they are leaking or not. Front brakes....sounds a bit odd, I'd check them and make sure they are clean and also not leaking or anything. If you go mudding, I would disassemble the front brakes and wash them out after each trip.

The fact you cannot lock up the brakes does not mean there is something wrong, it is not a sports car. And power braking, well if you have a stock motor and an auto then you are in the same boat as most.

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

rear brakes are self adjusting IN REVERSE .

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If you are lucky...most don't work that great though

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The moment you get any build up in there, they will stop adjusting. The adjuster tab will just slip over the adjuster and nothing will happen, if it moves at all. Mud bogging tends to gum them up pretty good.