Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crazy DD idea?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, May 21, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

after reading through the "put your K5 on a diet" thread in the CG forum, i was kicking around some ideas for a wild DD/occasional light trail rig. im not one to just go with the flow, and drive what everyone else drives. i like to stand out a bit. so here's what i'm thinking...

start with a 94+ S10 or Sonoma x-cab shortbox, i just like the lines of those trucks. the wheelbase is about the same as a K10 shortbox, and that seems to be the best compromise for all around off road capability. assuming a CPI 4.3 and a 4L60E, mated to a 241 transfer case. nothing totally out of the ordinary yet. i'm thinking full width axles would look sweet. but to keep weight down and ground clearance high, D44 and a 14SF. running some 35" tires, i think they should hold up just fine. the D44 would also open me up to crossover. with 35" tires, 4.10 gears, and OD my cruise RPM would be about 1800 or so, plenty of RPM for the 4.3 to live happily under the hood. anybody got any input on how a setup like this would serve the purpose of DD?

not sure exactly when or if i'll build this thing, but i'd like to know if im thinking in the right direction or not.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i hope there are no cops where u live. they will not be happy about a dd s-10 w/ full width axles running up & down the road.

other than that go for it.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

doesnt seem to be a problem here, there are quite a few Heeps running around with full didth axles, and they dont get messed with.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a sweet combo, pretty beefed up for a DD if you ask me /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

14 bolt SFs are nothing special. I'd lean towards a D60 FF or a Ford 9". Maybe a 60 full float with 37" krawlers? That would be a nice light rig. A full body S10 won't be a whole lot lighter than our fullsize rigs with the same package. Sure it will be lighter but how much so I can't really say. I want to build an S10(s10 frame not fullsize) as well but mine will be 100% trail rig and gutted, lightened big time.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Ever see that S-10 on a fullsize frame in last years TTC? That was/is a really nice truck. I think he was running 39.5 boggers though.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my thoughts on the 14SF were increased ground clearance, and lighter than a FF, and yet still stronger than a 10/12. since i want to keep the tires at a reasonable size, and streetable, i was thinking a BFG MT or an MTR. maybe even a radial swamper. i think for a DD, the strength of the front axle, and cost reasons i should keep the tire size at about 35".

anybody got any idea what kind of lift its going to require to fit 35s without hacking beyond recognition? trimming is ok, hacking is bad in this case. dont get me mixed with the poser crowd, it will get wheeled, but not as much or as hard as my K30 (its getting K30 vin numbers, so technically it is a K30 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

SAS the S10 it would e less work and a HELL of a lot less fighting with the DMV about the frame and body numbers.
    SAS it with 3/4 ton gear and run a set of hummer rims to get the wheels a little more up under it so that if you do get nailed you can have an easier time with getting flares over them. Also S truck have tight fender wells. Even with a D35 Jeep axle you have clearence problems with 4 inches of lift and 33's.

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good idea to me!!

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Grim you said just what i was thinking. Hummer rims. With the 7" of backspacing, that would really pull the tires in, but would still keep you wider than stock, and away from the inner fender. If you want to keep the truck at a realistic height though, you may want to look into fiberglass front fenders. I dont think the factory ones will take to well to 35's while still looking clean.