Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crazy Gear Box?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clarkjw24, Dec 4, 2003.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was busting around a right turn curve the other day, and my truck would not go right. I turned the wheel but the tires seemed to stay straight. So I hit the brakes and slowed down. Then truck seemed to do better with turning but still noticed that I had alot more action to the left. 4 miles later the truck was steering like old times.(good left and right turning) I've checked for cracks in the frame, loose bolts, gearbox play, and can't come up with anything. It seems fine now but I'm not sure about putting it back on the road. I've got 6" front and rear lift, 4" steering arm, swaybar disconnects, on 36"s. (I've also installed a 2" body lift recently with a new tub, not that I think it would have anything to do with it) The only thing I see that may be an issue is my front left spring looks cocked on the perch and ubolts don't look perfectly staight but its been this way since I installed it 6 months ago. Could this be my mystery steering or should I install a new/improved/stronger gear box?

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

While your searching for the problem don't forget to inspect the Steering stabilizer - it could be getting seized up . Just a thought . Good luck ! Tom

3. clarkjw24

thanks Tom, I had forgotten about them. I install a dual superlift steering stabalizer with my lift. Although I don't know if I ever adjusted them right. Any tips on adjustment?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Is this one of those stabilizer kits that mounts to the tie rod with U-bolts? I've seen the u-bolts slip on the tie rod and restrict steering. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It will slide rather easily one way, then catch tight when the force is from the other direction. Scary $h!t. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I sort of had a similar problem. Steering was normal, same amount both directions, and then occasionally it would be difficult to turn one direction and easy in the other.

Turned out to be bad ball joints. They weren't loose and sloppy like they normally get, they actually had a lot of rust and dirt build-up in them, which caused them to rather "seize" a little. You could check that.

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I had same problem...was worn out ball joints. Truck seemed to have a mind of its own at times.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i had that happen 1st time i went offroad, apparently after the lift install i never fully cranked down the u bolts on the steerin stabilizer and it slid along my axle to where i couldnt turn left. When i went to turn into my neighborhood i ended up in the middle of the person on the corners grass /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif. Back up, cranked on the wheel as much as i could tried to go forward again, went into the edge of the grass again, im still halfway in the road but i do anotehr 3 poin and finally get in my neighborhood, then everything is right turns to get to my house, pulled into the yard, got out the hammer and hit it back to where it should be. Then i went and got a wrench and tightened em down, never had a problem since. You could see the paint on the back of the axle tube had been rubbed off by the ubolts slidin back and forth.

8. clarkjw24

Thanks for all the help guys. It turned out to be the balljoints on the drivers side. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif