Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! Crazy Idea #823....... Who here builds trailers? !!! Jethro, Chaz?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Greg72, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Guys,

I know that there are a few guys here in "the biz" that build trailers for a living.

My latest idea for my big cross-country move is to use Mini-Me to tow Stomper back East....

I really don't want to RENT a trailer, since it will be a nice thing to have anyway. Plus when I call U-Haul and tell them I need a trailer for a 7 foot tall, 5500 Lb truck, their laughing will annoy me!!!

So anyway, I don't know squat about trailer design or what types of things to "specify". I'm hoping that those experts will clue me in on those things (width of deck, type of brakes, type of hitch needed, how many wheels for the amount of weight, etc)

OK... so either respond here, or PM me. I'd like to know how much it will cost, and how long it takes to build one. Any and all help appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm interested in this info too, so if you can post here that would be cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you get a car hauler, dual axle, braked at least on one axle, 16' min, better if 18', you should be fine for up to 8000lbs.
    I don't have the specific knowledge but it's what my research with the experts got me to.
    I will be buying an 18' soon.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

If you need someone to drive the Porsche back there. I know just the man. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

SERIOUSLY!

5. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Greg has a Porsche? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Greg72

Of course not.....

Dune Runner's drunk again.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Dune Runner's drunk again.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL.

I'd like to see you driving a Porsche!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Let me clear things up...(i was told that you did)
    I won't mention names but 2 birdies told me that you had one. I have never seen it. But I guess it's a mith. (sp)

I'm on cold meds right now. @work I do feal kind drunk. :stoned: /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I'm starting to wonder now "Who can you trust"

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm starting to wonder now "Who can you trust"

[/ QUOTE ]

"its important for people to know if their president is a crook...well, i'm not a crook" - Tricky Dick

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have seen tandem trailers at Home Depot. Not sure on their prices and specs though.

Just thought I would through it out there.

You can tow your P-car on it. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

here is a simple sloution...buy a car trailer already built..buy the time you spend the money to buy all the parts and steel and not to mention your time to build the thing will total way above what it would cost just to buy one...i got my car trailer from travlin toys in Tracy Ca..its right off 205...if you take the mccarther exit and go north...about a mile up the road (1st road) make a right and follow it all the way down to the "T" in the road and make another right and there ya are....my 16' car trailer ran me 1900 out the door taxes and licence and everything...but that was almost 2 years ago so prices might have gone up or down..i would suguest gettin the longest trailer you can afford..a 18' to 20' would be alot mo betta pullin..has less of a tendancy to sway...i would also get a sway bar and load levalizing hitch on it...my trailer is only a 7000 Cap trailer so i am overloading it evertime my blazer goes on it..so if i was to do it again i would try to find a 10,000 cap. just for the extra safty factor...the trailer we build are on alot larger scale than a car trailer..the shortest trailer we build is about 38 feet long and the biggest is 120 feet long with 9 axles, it can carry right around 88 tons..if ya want one of thos i can hook ya up only a few bucks..325,000 /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif..funny thing is we only make a average of 3000 from that big of a trailer /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. Greg72

Chaz,

OH MY GOD....NO!!!!!

I was not planning to build one myself! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I just wanted to get an idea what it would cost to have one MADE for me, and see if maybe there was an NCBD discount!!!

I can probably have Stomper shipped for around $1500...so maybe I should be looking for a "used" trailer if I want to make the towing scenario a cost-effective option???

13. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well since we are not really set up for it...it would cost a arm and a leg if we built it..even with a NCBD discount....i think jethro my have a connection...they build light duty trailers...like the ones that united rentals rents out

14. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

My trailer specs.

Greg,

You have seen my trailer. It's a 20' with the last two feet being a dovetail. It's 8.5 feet wide and has a 4' tongue. That makes for a nice length of 24' total. Plenty of room on it for my K5 and more. If you are pulling with your other K5 then definitely get brakes on both axles and a load leveing hitch. My trailer has electric brakes on both axles but not a load leveling hitch. With the dually I really don't need the load leveling hitch but sure do advise it for any other type of tow rig.

I have some pictures of mine at whole rig and trailer with rig on it and whole rig different angle .

Any questions??

David
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I priced them last week, 16' dual axle one braked, new out the door including taxes, license and everything = 1900
    So I guess prices didn't change. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Greg-

We can build just about anything you would want with just about any option you would want. The one in the picture below is, I think, an 18' wood deck car hauler- Might be 16', I can't remember. The price is right around $2000 if I remember correctly, depending on what all ya want....weight rating, type of brakes, brakes on both or just one axle, ect ect...ALL of out trailers are powder coated too, Just about any color you could want. They are a bit expensive, but are way overbuilt. And the powder coating brings the cost up a bit....We have the biggest powder coating oven/booth in Northern Cali. None of our compitition offers this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Anyways....If you are interested, the number is (530)274-BEST. Ask for John (owner), or Bernie (manager).
    [​IMG]

17. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Greg,... when i moved out here to Cali from Illinois, thats what i did. Had a 22" custom made for $1200. Was a tandem axle with single brake axle, 3500# axles, ramps and used tires. Turned around and sold it once i was here for $100 less than what i paid. Thats a pretty cheap rental!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif