Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crazy idea from a new guy!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Commocozy, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever harcked the rear fender wells out and put in Drag Racing tubs? I am thinking of doing this so i can fit as big a tire as possible with a little lift as possible.

For the time being i will be running 35's on the 10 and 12 bolt ( this is on a 79) but i do plan by next year to be ridding on 14BFF and a D60. also by then i should be rolling on some 38's maybe bigger. Anyway just wanted to toss the idea out there!

79 Jimmy all stock right now.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

No...we've never heard of fender hacking in these parts [​IMG]

I think Pete is who you might wanna talk to. If I remember correctly. For the life of me I can't remember his username.

pcrrssmt or someting. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You mean like this
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4

4. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Yes, and no Burt.
    I love the idea behind the MONEYPIT, but here in VERY cold Chicago it would not work. I do not plan on BOBing the blazer, but i do plan on trashing the top and putting a softtop on. I am taking about complettly cutting the rear wheel wells out and putting a 40" drag racing tub in it's place.

79 Jimmy all stock right now.

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

It could certainly be done, but I don't see the need until you've done major firewall surgery and/or move the front axle forward. Fitting tires in the rear isn't a problem really, I run a 3/4 ton PU 14FF rear (not the wider van one) with 4 1/8" backspacing on 15 x 10s (about the most backspacing you can go on a 15" rim) with 15" wide Swampers. The tires rub a bit on the vertical part, but it doesn't really limit flex and they don't grab anything either. What I did is beat on the piece between the inner and outer walls of the truck, the size of the actual wheel tub is pretty good. I've thought about this for mine, if I ever need to (due to larger tires, want to go 42-44s), I'll probably just stretch the OE ones lengthwise.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd