Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crazy idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Jan 9, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok I am learning and have a reasonable mechanical knowledge but not so much that i dont come up with some completley infeasable ideas so if this is that bad dont come down on me too hard.

I have 2 batteries in my truck. 1 for the starter and the other for accesories. Could you hook up the two batteries in series or parrel for more power to the starter without killing it. If you could i cant see how it would ever churn again.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

2. heaj1

heaj1 Registered Member

You can hook up two (or more) batteries in Parallel, not series or you get 24 volts (bad for 12v systems). The problem is that when you put 2 batteries in paralell they tend to drain each other. You can get a battery disconnect switch to avoid this. Just disconnect the two (by the switch) when you park the truck for any length of time. I believe it takes more than a couple of hours for the two batteries to discharge each other, so you don't have to switch them off when going to the grocery store or dropping the kids off at baseball practice etc. etc.

Swimming like a rock, Slinging like a stock, but not for long!

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm no electrical expert but, two (or more) batteries shouldn't drain one-another IF they of similiar age, size and have identical draw (loads). SO, you wouldn't want run two batteries in parallel if you were using just one for the starter, etc. The stronger battery would try to charge the lesser and you altenator would over or under charge both. A battery isolators would allow the use of one battery for winching, etc. without hurting the other during charging.

Proof: Most diesels use two (or more) batteries wired in parallel (or series parallel for 24V) with major electrical problems. Parallel it's just one big motha of a battery.

Exception to the rule: CUCVs have a 12V/24V system. 12V for lights, 24V for starter & glowplugs. They can do this because they have two individual altenators (isolated ground), one for each battery. One battery does get used (discharged & charged) alittle more than the other that's why we swap them back and forth during an Annual service.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!