Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crazy idea

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by pilgrim, Jul 3, 2002.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

Does your gas tank get in your way? Well mine does, so i'am thinking on ripping it out and getting (i know there somewhat costly) a www.auxtank.com 70 gallon wedge to fit behind the front bench seat. this would be easy for me since i took out the middle seats anyways. I'd mount it VERY well inside a cage and tied to the frame. Than weld to two side doors shut, and cut and weld in a fuel door on one side. That would give you 30 more gallons of range and move the weight to the center of the truck. Also you'd have a nice departure angle. What do you think?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

sounds awesome for a trail rig then you could bob the rear end. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I AGREE BOBBING THE REAR WOULD BE NICE GIVE IT THAT TAHUE LOOK. JUST WATCH THE GAS FUMES. I HAD A TRUCK WITH A GAS TANK BEHIND THE SEAT INSIDE THE CAB AND EVERY TIME I WENT AROUND THE CORNER WITH A FULL TANK I SMELT THE GAS. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm dying to do a trail rig Sub. I wouldn't mind saving my current Sub for towing and family trips.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I thought about `avalanching' my K20, but don't have the heart to hack the sheetmetal off it like that...

-Rich

6. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good idea...
    just be very conservative with the mounting, dont want the tank to explode if you ever get hit on the side...
    use to have a 74 f-250 highboy, cool truck, but man did that gas tank behind the rear seat scare me, i just didnt like the sound of the gas sloshing around behind me, and it always had a hint of gas in the air....

7. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

so when you say be "conservative" in mounting a tank behind the seat. do you mean soft mount it well inside a cage , so that if hit or in a roll over the tank would have some freedom to move and not just split open... or would you hard mount it inside a cage firmly tied to the frame and body... i'am leaning towards a softer mounting and also might use that race fuel foam , they use it in race cars to prevent the gas from dispursing all around in the event of a tank split, also helps with sloshing. does anyone know the legal (probably varies state to state) height for a gas filler door????