Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crazy morning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4wood, Sep 25, 2004.

1. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Preface: Architecture majors at Georgia Tech do not sleep. We are perpetually in studio drawing and building models.

Story: Friday morning, after yet another grueling all-nighter in the design studio, I walk over to the fraternity house for breakfast before driving the truck back to my dorm to shower and get ready for class. I start her up-no problems-move her 12 feet so I am not in the no parking zone where I left her Thursday night. I eat breakfast. Thirty minutes later, she doesn't start. It's all the tell tale signs of a low battery (volt meter read low, the dome light was dim, etc.) So I pop the hood to find the red rubber housing on the positive battery cable melted. I disconnected the negative and positive cables and found A LOT of crusty grey stuff on the battery terminal and said to myself "Self, this is probably a good time to install that new battery cable that you've been carrying around for a few months." So I take the battery cable off of the alternator and starter and go to put the new one on to find that the crimp on the end of the new cable is too small to fit around the pin on the starter. By this time I have to go to class (no shower, covered now in axle grease and grime). Oh, the other great thing is that my rear window was down and with no electiricity it left all of my tools open to passers-by in the middle of downtown Atlanta...that was comforting. That evening, after class, I get a ride to Auto Zone and get a good replacement cable and get to put it in without the aid of daylight. All goes well until I find that the cable that goes to the alternator is too short. I resolve this by cutting off the corresponding cable from my origional battery cable and splicing it with that of the new one and putting a huge $#%&! wire nut on it. Truck starts now.

Anyone have any idea what happened to my battery cable? I didn't have the lights on or anything. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Never did get a shower until much later that night. Miraculously, nothing was taken out of my open truck.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Bad, bad boy. Neglecting your battery posts like that. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifBasically, you did what most folks in the world do and didn't even think about the condition of the cables and such until the critter wouldn't start. Don't you fret. Just try to remember when you change your oil check all the little things like air cleaner and radiator level and battery level and cables and and and and.......

You get the idea.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sounds like your battery cable had a short in it somewhere.

get that wire nut off of your charge wire! wire nuts are for houses! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif