Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crazy project transfer ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Jun 27, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

My friend is putting a 350 with a 350 tranny in a Heep, since the front drive shaft has to come out on the driver side he is going to cut the output shaft on the tranny and bolt the transfer from a S-10 to it. Do you think the S-10 transfer can take the torque from a 350, I guess since the Heep weighs much less it should help some. What do you guys think. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

It depends on how built the motor is, how heavy his foot is, his gearing and tires. It might last for a little while, but I wouldn't think it would be super dependable.

Kris

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Which S10 transfer case? If it's the 207 it'll probably splatter itself all over the ground the first time he gets crazy with the stupid pedal while turning. The NP207 was used from like 83-late eighties in s-series and in some XJs if I remember correctly. I can't remember if they have a torque arm or not but if it has provisions for one I suggest it gets put in otherwise the case will probably crack. I think they were used in Dakotas but I'm not sure. I'm sure the 231 was used in Dakotas though.

If it's a 231 or 231HD it'll have a better chance of survival. Most of these had provisions for torque arms and they'll prolong case life if they are used. These cases are like NP208s, they have a habit of spidercracking when abused. I've actually seen broken-cased 207s and 231s whereas I've only heard rumors of NP208s spilling their guts. I know 231s were used in various Heeps too.