Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crazy Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Sep 2, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Hey Y'all,
    I got a crazy question. We done an axle swap on my dad's 87 4x4 pick up. The stock 10 bolt is out and the rear is now a 12 bolt.Ok,we were going to swap the front axle with D-44, but after we got it out the front output shafton the drivers side is very loose in the axle tube.Rather that rebuilding the axle I wanted to know if we could take the Dana ring and pinion and install it in the 87 model front axle that's still under the truck.Pop don't want to mess with rebuilding the dana, and he don't want to rebuild the 10 bolt that came from his truck either.(shrug) But there is alot of loose play in the dana on that one side, the other side is tight.What would happen if we just left it like it is and puill the front drive line and basically have a 2wd truck.Would this hurt the T-case?Thanks Y'all

Conoverbandit

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no the dana won't go into a 10 bolt case. I'm not getting this "pull the front driveline" idea. Just tell your dad to get it rebuilt, it may not be cheap or fun but its the RIGHT thing to do.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A D44 carrier can be made to fit in the 10 bolt housing, but it requires machine work and is more trouble than it's worth. The gears from the 44 will not bolt to the 10 bolt carrier. So you have to either rebuild the 44 or get new gears for the 10 bolt, from what it sounds like. By output, do you mean the axleshaft? </font>

4. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Yea,
    The axle shaft .....you can move it up and down quite a bit in the tube. I'm assuming the outter bearing and seal are gone since there is grease all over the place /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But that answered my question I was wondering if the ring and pinion would interchange from the 10 bolt front to the D-44 front. So now I know it won't. And the other part of my post will it hurt the T-caes if we just pull the front driveshaft and run the truck that way for a while.......Thanks Y'all for your help.

Conoverbandit

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what would that do? the axle stuff will still be there and thats the bad components no? and no it won't hurt anything to do that.