Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crazy Wipers: AAHHHHH

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, May 2, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I made a post about this a few months ago but wanted to get some clarification on this before I order parts next week.

I have no intermittent wipers and they wont shut off unless I take them to the high and then turn them off real quick at the bottom. If I play with the stalk by twisting and twisting the switch they sometimes work but when they do they stop halfway up the glass for a few seconds then procede.

Should I replace the switch in the column first? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

I have wiperrelated problems too. Sometimes when I turn the ingition on the wipers make one workcycle and then stop. Why does it happen /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif?

3. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

There is a bolt sticking out the top. That tightens or loosens the drive gear. I had the same prob and I messed with that and the prob is gone. Hope this helps.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Mine would not work on intermittent or shut off unless I turned the switch back temporarily to the "mist" (one-wipe) setting and then released it. The problem was the wiper park switch in the wiper drive mechanism. The wiper controller would be waiting forever for that switch to tell it that the wipers had reached the bottom position so they should shut off. I cleaned out that switch and adjusted it so that it made contact in a place where the contacts weren't worn. Worked like new ever since. You might check that. All you have to do is open the hood and hook an ohmmeter to the switch contacts while the wipers are running.

5. daleearnhardt01

[ QUOTE ]
    All you have to do is open the hood and hook an ohmmeter to the switch contacts while the wipers are running.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly is this located on the wiper motor? Whats it look like? I can fool with it tommorow.

6. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

<font color="red">Mine does about the same thing but only when it wants to! wtf?? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif and it will only swipe once... no other probs with shutting off or anything, and everything else works normal.. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The wiper motor is over on the driver's side firewall. There is a connector with two wires coming straight out of the front of the wiper motor. This is the connector for the wiper park switch. You want to hook an ohmeter up here across the two contacts if you unplug the connector first. If you don't unplug the connector, then you will want to use a voltmeter, as the ohmeter could get damaged by 12V. Reference the ground to chassis and the positive to each of the switch teminals. What you are looking for is close to zero ohms whenever the wipers are in the down (park) position.

There is a plastic cover over the top of the wiper motor assembly. You can pull that right off, it just snaps on. Then you can remove the switch just by releasing a little tab. It will be real clear when you look at it.

8. daleearnhardt01

Thanks for all your help guys. I had a buddy who works at a Chevy dealership show me where the park thing was. I think I fixed the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif