Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Creaking/popping suspension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hello all, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have an '83 K-5 with a 4" Rancho lift. The rear of the lift is all spring, no blocks. I've developed recently (over the past few months its gotten bad) a terrible creaking/popping noise from the rear. It happens whenever the suspension flexes, or so it seems. Mostly I notice it on turns, but also like today I just went over some bumpy stuff and it made an awful noise. It's normally like just a single loud pop as I make a turn.

I've been thinking maybe it was just the spring leaves working across each other, and I've repeatedly soaked down the springs with no change. My shocks are getting pretty old and rusty too, they're rancho 5000's. Is it possible one of them is to blame?

Another thought is that the Auburn LSD I have back there has completely eaten its clutches and is now metal on metal? I have no idea how those things wear out.

Finally, can a worn bushing on the shackle cause awful noises? I replaced the spring side of the rear shackle when I put the lift on, but the frame side is original rubber and looks pretty sad.

Thanks for any advice.

M

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Check your all shackle bolts. They could have losened up.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It's not going to be the Auburn. They don't have clutches, they work on a "cone" system. One cone engaging inside of another cone. Could be the shackle bolts, maybe some greasable bolts would help or greasing up the bushings. Good Luck whatever it is.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Look for cracks in the floorboard near and around the seat bolt holes in the floor.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Are you definitely sure it is coming from the rear? My front springs make lots of creaking and popping noise when I turn as the soring actually moves side to side from the power of the steering system. My other concern would be a cracked frame at the steering box, that is whay I asked if you were sure it was coming from the rear. If you are positive it is the rear, I would go with greaseable bolts first and see what that does for the situation.

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I get a loud pop when turning from the passenger side exhuast shield/muffler hanger. I is just behind where the passenger front seat is. If I tighten it up it goes away until it loosens back up. Give that a try and see it that is it.

7. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Check your transmission mount on crossmember I have 700r4 and my mount was cracked made a real bad noise all the time but I am not sure wether it would be the same on a th350 or 400 I am not sure what u have but check that out also.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine did that and new balljoints cured it.

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Stand on the rear bumper and jump like crazy up and down and side to side trying to create the sound. Have a bud walk around to see if he can locate it. Some thoughts... Check upper shock attachment points for slop (including rivits) and I wouldn't rule out the spring bushings at all. They arn't that difficult to replace so that's probably where I'd start if the jumping thing doesn't reveal anything. What about a body mount? Let us know.

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Make sure it is not the body. My roof pops and my body bangs when I flex. My frame makes all kinds of noise. I've gone through and tightened bolts and replaced bushings but I still get creaking noises. Some noise is just going to happen, a lot is indicative of a problem.

11. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've gone through and checked tightness and everything looks good... as near as I can tell anyway, maybe it's rusted on a loose position. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Nothing appears to be cracked or anything either.

Maybe I'll start by replacing the shackles with the newfangled poly-bushing zerk jobs. Can someone point me to a source for these? I saw replacement shackles for Chevy's in one of the 4x4 mags, but can't remember the source.

Oh, the exhaust idea: do you have dual exhaust? My muffler heat shield is on the drivers side near the back (single). Am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Thanks!

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status