Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Creature in the roothouse... an Allantown Mystery

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 29, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

We have this old building, one room with a small crawl in attic and small cellar, that was refered to by my family as the "Root House" back when it was in regular use in the 1930's and 1940's. It's still on our property, but unseen back in the trees.

A couple weeks ago, I took some friends and their kids on a little "bat tour" of the farmhouse, then down over to the root house to take a look inside it. No one had been in it for a long time (a few years for me even).

When we shined the flashlights inside we saw a bunch of green round things in two boxes, on on a couple shelves. I smelled fresh apples. We went in, and sure enough, two boxes partially filled with apples from my brothers apple trees 1/8 mile away. Some were partly eaten. Then we heard what sounded like knocking or footsteps from above us. The attic is too small for a person to be there walking, but the sound didn't sound like the pitter patter of a small creature.

We never did see anything or figure out what it was. I'm still wondering what sort of small animal would and could gather that many apples from that distance away and store them in the old boxes and shelves?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We used to have a Pear tree in front of an apartment that I lived in and squirels would take the pears away whole. I never could figure out how they were going to refrigerate them. :D Get a have-a-hart live animal trap and see.

3. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Maybe it's a wee leprechaun! :D :haha:

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You sure it couldn't be a person? Even if an animal was picking the apples why would they carry them to the house and place in them together in box's? We hear stories all the time around here about people living in abondened houses whether it's near another occupied house or not.

5. cbbr

You are going to need a bigger trap. :eek1:

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking too.... :eek1:

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

When my wife was a kid they had an old abondened barn on their property. Turns out a someone had been living in there hiding out from the cops. Not sure how they found it was a fugitive cause when the cops showed up the guy was long gone.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is the attic accessible? You weren't able to look up there?

I was thinking a person, too, but who half eats apples and keeps them in the box? While it's odd for an animal to keep them organized, it sounds closer to an animal's behavior...

9. mountainexplorer

It would have to be an animal. People up there wouldn't choose to stay in an old one room building with the floor ready to collapse. Plus you have to crawl in and out of a window since the door is permanently shut due to ground being in the way now. People who usually are hiding out (usually locals who get in fights with their family or for other reasons) stay in one of the many campers up there.

What surprised me was the large number of apples and such a distance. Quite a chore for a small animal, but not impossible. We have squirrels, bunny rabbits (I doubt it's them), skunks, ground hogs, and other critters.

The little attic crawl space wasn't large enough for anyone to walk into. I was thinking of the skunk possibility, since they are around... so I got out of there not wanting to get sprayed if it was. One of my friends said he shined his light up there after the rest of us got out and he didn't see anything up there. But we did hear the noise, and it wasn't anyone else making it. And I'm not one to believe in ghosts or aliens or demon-posessed bunny's... but I am at a loss as to what it was making the noise.

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking chupacabra.

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

That was my next guess.. haha.

Around here we have some homeless people who are willing to live anywhere as long as there is a roof over their head.

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

The Representative of the Bunny Unification Organization has issued an official statement:

"We of the BUO deny any militaristic activities in the state of Washington, and contrary to rumors, have not established supply depots in the areas between Seattle and Portland, nor in the Spokane or Yakima areas."

13. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

I have heard that the killer bunny asassin that went after president carter has been roaming the Washington wilderness ducking the secret service while he plots his next attempt. :D

14. mountainexplorer

This weekend was 3 weeks since we saw the apples. I looked in the door to see if there were any more apples added. There was no sign of any apples anywhere. No cores, no browned withered ones... everything looked untouched and the way it would have been had the apples never been there in the first place.

Then I heard the noise again from up in the dark crawlspace.

No visual confirmation... but I had forgotten about the giant packrat we had running around the place. It has to be that. It probably transferred all the apples into its nest up above and the thumping noise is its large tail flopping around.

15. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Burn the old house. Man I hate rats. :eek1:

16. mountainexplorer

The giant packrat used to try and live around all the campers and trailers. At least its somewhere out of the way right now. Alot of people don't even realize the building is there.
    [​IMG]

17. cbbr

Get a gopher bomb and smoke him out. And have the camera ready. :weld: :saweet:

18. mountainexplorer

I never did see this packrat it person last year when others did. They said it was huge, and it's been over a year since then. How big can they get I wonder? Sure must be a huge tail to make the thumping noise that I can hear.