Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Credit card opinions - What company has the best benefits?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 12, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a GM Card. I swear I have some stupid subconscious magnetic attraction to that logo...

Well anyway, the GM card builds up reward dollars you can use on your next new GM car purchase. I don't ever intend to purchase a new car in the next 5 years (before the points expire). And if I do, I somehow doubt I'll be super-glad I had my trusty GM card to save me $50 on my $20,000 purchase...:surepal:
    Not that I'll NOT appreciate it, it's just like a spoonful of sand from a full dump truck... Not really doing anything for me...

I've always had cards that are just credit cards, no gravy. Capital One was actually a card that cost me more and more every time I used it. Actually, that one cost me a couple hundred even when I stopped using it :angry1:...

So I'm looking for something with more immediate rewards. Interest rate is not a big deal, I pay off full balances immediately or before the interest rate would apply.

My primary usage would be online purchasing or emergencies (like a dog's cut foot).

So what do you guys recommend (or not)?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Try to find a card that gives you gasoline when you use it for vehicle expenses. A lot of parts and even CK5 memberships are "vehicle expenses". When you buy a Gatorade at the gas station, "vehicle expense"

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anyone got any good ideas or good cards? I'm just about to put another couple hundred bucks on my GM card, and I'm thinking how much it sucks that I pumped a bunch of money through this card, and I'm getting useless bennie's...

4. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

August 2005 edition of Smart Money magazine has an article on "The Best Credit Cards for You". For rewards, i.e. "free" stuff, they like the American Express Preferred Rewards card and the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard.

The MasterCard has no annual fee while the Amex cost $110 per year :eek1: . The MasterCard also gets you one point per dollar spent; five points per dollar spent at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations. They felt the best deal was the MasterCard. Unless you're interested in travel rewards or cash back...

Hope this helps.

Jason

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Take a look at Cabela's credit card. No frills, resonable interest rate,and accumulates points for use in their catalog. If you can't find something you want out of their catalog, I'll eat my hat. I use one for mostly business, and
    in less than two years, i was able to get the binoculars I wanted, but wouldn't pay $1600 for.:xmas: Oh, and they don't raise the interest rate just because it rained last Tuesday!!:yikes:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have an American Express Costco card. I use it for all Costco purchases (they dont take any other CCs) and I get 1% cash back on all said purchases. Not much, but every little bit helps. I also use it for all restraunt purchases, cause you get 3% cash back on them.

I have a Harbor Frieght tools MC... same kind of deal, 2% back on HF purchases, you get the $ back as HF gift certificates.

I have a GM card with a bunch of GM car bucks on it... I used it to pay tuition when I was in college, so I have like 5,000 points on it. :)

I also have a Wells Fargo Visa. I work for WF so I get their cool rewards program for free. So far I've got about $75 worth of Best Buy gift certificates out of it. I use this card like an ATM card... buy everything (that I dont use the other cards for...) with it and pay it off the very next day via instant online billpay. :)

I have a citi MC too... but only because they offered a free $100 gift card as a promotional deal. I got $110 in gift card-age out of them and tossed the card in the drawer. :grin:

Lastly, I have a B of A card that holds my revolving ballances with 0% until summer of next year. :)

j