Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Credit Cards?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 16, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I currently have a GM card. I thought one day I might buy a new car, but I can't seem to shake the idea that they're a waste of a couple thousand because of immediate depreciation.
    I really don't the card much except for the occasional online purchase or work expense, so it's kinda stupid to be building up credit on a car I'll never buy... and so little credit at that.

So I'm looking for a new card that has better benny's. My brother in law gets miles, useless to me cause I abhor flying. My sister gets vacation credits or something I think, also useless since I have no interest in the big exciting vacation spots. I'm not too worried about interest rates cause I pay the full balance usually as soon as the charge posts to my account.

Anything out there that just has cash or gift certificate-like benefits?

What's the deal with all this cash back and 1%-on-every-purchase jazz?

What companies do you guys use and what kind of benefit plans do you have going on?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I like my Bank One (Now Chase) as far as service and support goes, great reps and techs

As for rewards, try getting one that pasy back automotive expenses, like gas. Turns out CK5 memberships are automotive expenses, and anything you buy at a gas station is too.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ahh, that's worth checking out.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I hate credit cards.....I just spent the last year paying them all off. I have a Capital One now but the card has been destroyed and it has a 0 balance. If you pay it off every month you might look into an AMEX, I think they have good bennies.

5. Resurrection_Joe

I ask in the name of destorying urabn slang and keeping the proud nature of true english alive that everyone PLEASE quit saying "bennies"

6. stallion85

Edited for your viewing pleasure:grin:

7. Resurrection_Joe

You're such a nice man :)

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Discover gives you like 1% or 2% cash back. A lot of places still don't take it though.

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

ya know, RJ, sometimes I not only agree with the things you say, but *understand* them.

Most often, when I read your posts, I am reminded of a scene in "Fear Of A Black Hat", where the band is talking to the record company exec, and 'Tone Def' goes on about "Yeah. Because when you take the bus... you GET there." ... only the record exec understands him, the band just sits there and looks confused.

"On the serious tip, the second letter of the alphabet is B."

-- A

10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Credit cards are the DEVIL!! Once I'm done payin off my last one I'll never get another one again.

11. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

12. stallion85

I must be part of the band because I am often confused after reading RJ's posts:grin:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have VISA through my bank (Wells Fargo) , Mastercard (MBNA, and AT&T) as well as Discover.

14. Resurrection_Joe

Awwww, thanks

I hate it when I'm quoted and there's a misspelling in it

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  15. coreyd

coreyd Registered Member

My brother inlaw has the GM card, went and purchased a 20005 3/4 crew cab long bed diesel sat. He had over a $4000.00 credit on it, he walked out paying $41,000.00, to me it's worth it, just my 2 cents

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

GM card is good if you're not an employee. We found out the hard way you can't use your GMS discount plus your GM card credit.:mad:

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't know what is a great card but I do know what is not! Capital One!! I will never get another Capital One card. Mine presently has a 0 balance and will be destroyed at the end of the month when I am certain they have cancelled it.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Got to agree 100% with that. They were a nightmare to cancel and built up a couple hundred $ charge on a $2 balance because I thought my account was closed and let it go. I think I even had a thread going with the photo below. I forget exactly how, but I think I got them to close the account by losing my temper on the phone, over-paying, and having them send me a check for the balance.

[​IMG]

On the GM card:
    I don't have anything against it, in fact I think it's a nice looking card :rotfl:, it just seems like I use it more for brand loyalty than actual benefits, and there are cards out there I could use and gain more tangible benefits from. I don't see myself purchasing a factory new vehicle in the next 5 years (the credit expires after 5 years), and if I do, it may not necessarily be a GM, so if I'm going to have a card that gives me something for using it, I might as well get something I can use :grin:.

I think I'll look into the Blue one...

Thanks for the info y'all!