Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Creepy Crawler Tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JEBSR, Feb 13, 2005.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about purchasing a set of the new Maxxis Creepy Crawler tires and was wondering if anybody is either running or knows someone who is running them. The only info I find is in a magazine article. Says they are great off road and are supprisingly quiet for an off road tire. My questions are quiet compaired to what, how do the ride on the street, etc?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The age old problem...... :confused:

I've seen information on quite a few new tires lately......the Nittos, Pitbulls, etc.

The question is always "Who is going to open thier wallet and take the chance on them first??" I hate to feel like I'm always waiting around for someone else to tell me what's good.....but I also don't want to be the guy who blew a grand on tires that turned out to be lousy. :doah:

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if they were as cheap as IROKs I'd be the one to open my pocket. But like you said, I'm not opening that wallet up for something more expensive that may be worse.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

They are not that new, have been out for almost 2 years now. That said, go to Rockymountainextreme.com and search, there have been a couple people there who have run them and absolutely loved them on their comp buggy's.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly what I told the Pitbull guy. I was hoping they'd come out with a less expensive introductory price so we could all try them and give him our feedback. Then he came back with $220 for a 35. :frown1: That said and despite our heated discussions, I'd really like to see his product perform. I'm pretty sure a lot of us would pay 2x for tires if we were SURE we'd get what we wanted.

6. utchev

utchev Registered Member

I just responded to the other Creepy Crawler post, but for competition and the terrain here in Utah, they are tough to beat. I don't run them, but spend a lot of time on the trail with guys that do and they work EXCELLENT. I can't speak to on-road performance.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Maxxis is coming out with a new tire.... The "Trepador". It will be a competition focused tire. You can see a small exerp. of it on page 104 of the March '05 Petersens.

Heard some good stuff on the Creepy Crawlers and never anything bad. Never seen them perform in person though.

Maxxis has been around for a long time in the MX field.

8. boxxerace

boxxerace Registered Member

Here: I will be your test dummy: Pitbull Rockers 39.5: First day of testing.

Yes, they are wide. Yes, they work well, I drove on hwy @ 25 PSI there and @ 15 psi back home. @ 25psi they still ran flat (even though they look a little ballooned) and quiet. @ 15 psi you can deft. here the side lugs, but they do not have the swamper howl and they are just fine on the street compared to a bogger. Oh, very little flatspotting when cold and these are the smoothest bias ply tire I have driven. Much more like a radial.

Offroad, lots of snow and dirt being kicked up everywhere. I enjoyed leaving 18" wide swaths in the fresh snow. I drove up the road in 2wd just to piss my friend off who was in a jeep cherokee on basic mud tires (and later chains). Later I was in 4 wheeldrive running through some very wet and deep snow and did pretty well. I did bury the truck at one point to the bumpers, but I probably could have aired down lower, but I was on the initial test run of the truck as well. I am only locked up in back.

I bought four from www.tyres1.com and I would purchase them again. Time for them to make a 42" tire however.

I will provide a more in-depth offroad review when I get some more experience with them and have time too.

Here are some pics to get you started:

(and yes, my truck is a big arse family wagon with too much lift. Body lift going away soon) .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yah, you can dig yourself in if its deep and wet:

[​IMG]

Time for the some beadlocks and a smaller body.

Feel free to ask whatever questions that you have, I will try to be as helpful as I can. Like I said before, I only have one day on these tires so take my review with a grain of salt.