Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crew cab dually tire ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Dec 27, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

my 84 crew dually has stock suspension with the exception that it once apon a time was a c30 and now has 4wd. how big a tire will that suspension allow me to run? when i get the $$ to replace the tires i was thinking itd be nice to get bigger ones than stock but i wont have the $$ to get a lift at that point. as much as i love jacked up crew duallys. :saweet: i know i can get a 32" under there as the stockers are 30" but would it be possible to maybe get a 34" tire up in there w/ out lift? 9x34x16 is about the biggest tire i seen that i could use with stock rims/polacement. i could get a 38x11x16 but i know thatd rub at the stock wheel placement and also need a wider rim. and a lift... :surepal: which would be grand if i had won the powerball or something. but i have to stick to a budget with trying to build a house and garage and all. :haha: the 32" are a real good bet as i can get retreads for $75 shipped per tire. and they are bigger and more agressive (by far) than a normal tire. also a set of 6 would cost $10 more than a set of 4 "normal" ones. :thinking: i just like the bigger stuff though. i think we all should get $25,000 when we turn 16 to invest in a truck(s) but.... :haha:

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:grin: here i am replying to myself. maybe too much free time?? :haha: i happened to look at the tires on my 84 again and they just happened to be 32" i was thinkin they were about the stock size (30") but they weren't. so im thinkin i could squeeze a set of narrow 34"'s in there :grin: but at the price of a swamper... 9x34x16$145/ea and then the price of a radial retread.... 235/85/16 (32") mud terrain about $75/ea shipped. and the radial will definately outlast the swamper being bias-ply. and i could buy 2 whole sets of 32" for the cost of the 34's... so 3-4 times the use from the retreads for the same cost. :haha: survey says; swampers not worth the extra $$ not that i dont like them i like swampers as much as the next guy... but you should see the floor plans for the house & garage i am going to start next summer :grin: total of 4 doors on garage (seperate paint booth, 2 door main garage and another one door for something, stereos <shrug> something> living space above garage (lotsa leg room up there!!) and two end sheds. enough space to store 45 cord of wood in. so i could heat my house for 8 years once fullk w/o cutting another tree :waytogo: i hate having to tell my trucks they are second priority to the house but i need a garage and a house. sleeping in a truck is cold in the winter. :haha:

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Maybe its just me but I don't think I would use retreads.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well i never thought i would consider it either till i started researching them. i came across a study that was done on them and they are safe. and all the tires that littrer the highway arent all retreads. any tire when improperly inflated, overloaded, etc etc can blow. its been a while since ive been looking at retread info so if i come across some info i will post a link

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

oh, just a side note, look at all them firestone tires that were barnd new that went on the explorers or whatever that were bad. they were brand new....

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i decided that it would be better to post links to retread tire info in its own thread as it would get the info out there more and more people would be able to learn. so heres the link to the thread with the links.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124517

read up and enjoy!! :waytogo: