Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crew cab on suburban frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ddawg, Apr 23, 2002.

1. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

I want to switch from my '76 cherokee to a '73-'87 truck. I have a family of 5 and we like to go camping. With a crew cab I can get a cabover camper and stop sleeping on the ground plus tow a trailer and fit the family. I want a 4x4 as I live in Idaho and we go "off the beaten path" when in the wilderness. I can't find a 4x4 crew cab under $10,000 so thought I might put the body of a two wheeler on the frame of a suburban 4x4. Is this a crazy or otherwise impossible thought or is there a better route. Any help would be great.

2. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Are they same length? A friend I used to work with converted a 2wd crew cab to 4x4. that might be cheaper.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I was on the verge of converting a '78 2wd Crew Cab to a 4wd, then I found an '81 1 ton 4x4 CC for $2800 (talked down from $3500). They're out there, just not as common. I'm sure a 2wd could be converted. I had all the plans at one time and still have all the parts somewhere (brackets, crossmembers, mounts, etc...).

4. René

René 1/2 ton status

You can install the crew cab body on the suburban frame without problems. But the wheelbase is however much shorter (129.5 to 168.5 in.) and that’s even too few for a Shortbed.

5. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

Hey DDawg, im up in moscow, where you at? Im building a k5 from the frame up, and in the process stripping the burb, it has an excellent frame, and a 40 gallon gas tank if you need one.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sounds like the makings of an awesome wheeler if the rear doors on the crew cab clear the wheelwells of the suburban chassis. You could throw on a 4' flatbed, exocage the whole thing, lift it 6" and hack the fenders, add 42" swampers, and a big block. My kinda truck...