Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crew Cab project suggestions.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Dec 1, 2004.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Hi, I am building up a crew cab as a gift for my dad so he can explore padre and other hard to get to places(he is a big explorer/treasure hunter buff). I am thinking of just a basic 4" lift, 35" tires, detroit rear, and a selectable front locker(OX?? any experience with these or just a detroit electric). Do a full undercarriage bedliner spray and powdercoat almost all of the suspension components to keep the sand and moisture from taking its toll. And take out the 6.2 and swap in a heads/cam 6.0 vortec, and possibly a magnacharger setup to top it off. What do you guys think? Also what kind of suggestions do you have? I want it to be reliable and capable, nothing too radical.

Thanks,
    Remington

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It sounds like it'll be a great truck and one helluva nice gift to your dad. Kudos to you! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would keep the 6.2 if it's in good shape without a ton of miles and get the Banks stinger kit for it. If your dad wants a lot of power it would be a 5.9 6BT cummins swap for me. Gas wouldn't be an option for me, especially when the original truck is already setup for diesel power. I would go with a 6" lift to make sure the tires stay out of the fenderwells. I would also just run an LS in the D60 instead of a selectable locker if money is an issue.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would recommend the 6" lift too. I had some 35" tires on my Crew Cab with a 4" lift, and the tires would hit the rear of the fender wells if I had the tires turned to full lock and hit a bump at a decent speed. I added a 1" body-lift to my 4" suspension lift, in order to clear a new set of 35" tires I just bought, and I may still have to do a tiny amount of fender trimming to make sure they clear in all situations. The only problem with a 6" lift is you might have some driveline angle issues, but it sounds like you have the time to deal with that, so it will not be that big a deal.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Padre, mustang, and the national seashore are overrated. You dont need a monster truck to drive there, I've been to all of those beaches plenty of times and never seen a stuck truck (well I went to the national seashore one time and there were about a dozen bigrigs burried to the axles but that doesnt count). I'd just go with 2-4" lift and 33's to make it more street friendly.

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah yer pb right on the limited slip for the front once I think about it. I am still leaning towards the 6" though because its not just coastal areas he is interested in, he is just an all around Curious George. He loves to go out to Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas and explore old ghost towns and go up to the Smokey mountains and Black Hills and explore old abandoned mining towns and things of the sort. I am just wanting to build an all around capable truck because some of the logging roads I have been on before have made me pinch a few doughnut holes in my seat.

Remington

7. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I also wanted to do a 6.0 vortec swap because I finished the swap on my 91 blazer and that thing is a beast, 345 hp stock, and you have to use a 4l80e so now you dont have to worry about a transmission for quite some time. So I now have a good grasp on what all is involved, mainly wiring. Plus every since I finished installing the headers, cam, and dual exhaust my dad gets a glazed look in his eyes whenever I start it up /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. So I figured I would do the same for him except a little beefier.......hence the supercharger. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Remington

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Relocated to college station you say? Are you a student? I'd sure like to take a look at that blazer, the 6 liter is one badass engine.