Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crew cab short box chevy with a 468. Buy it or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Nov 19, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

It's a '91 Crew Cab short bed 1 ton 2wd. I love this thing. Been looking for a tow rig/daily driver for a while now and saw this one on a side street on the way to school today with a for sale sign. Supposed to call the guy back in a couple hours but wanted to get some info first if at all possible. It's got a 454, TH400, and 4.10 rearend. I love this thing. Interior looked good, but the body is in primer although it was straight. SRW and newer tires. What can I expect to pay for something like this? Is it custom? Or did chevy actually make this super cool rig???

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by laketex on 11/19/01 09:24 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone ever seen a 1 ton chevy like this?

There were some built but I tho they were more towards the late 90's (when they were trying to get rid of the last of the parts of that generation.) There are companies out there that did conversions for the factory to make odd ball vehicles. The 1st gen 4runner was a conversion. Not many were made, they were the late 70's early 80's style. Kinda kool looking cuz you dont see them often. I have only seen 1 ever in person. If you go look at it look on the drivers door or jamb area for a sticker from a conv. company. I am not positive but I think GM didnt make the short 4 door or X cab 1 ton till the late 90s.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Pretty sure its custom, but they do look bad arse. Buddy of mine lived in Pheonix for a few years doing body work and custom stuff, I guess this stuff is pretty common. Buy an old 3+3 long box, cut the frame, and throw on a short box. I still contemplate selling the Daily Driver every now and then to build a '89-91 Crew cab w/a Cummins.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well I called the guy. He says it's all custom and he did it himself. Has a bored 454 to 468cid with 5000 miles and carburated, TH400 tranny with about 50 miles. New gauges, 40/20/40 seat. Wants $2500. Is it just me or is this the steal of the year? I'm really interested but this truck has to perform mild daily driver duties as well as be a tow vehicle for my blazer. With that fire breathing motor, what kind of gas mileage can I expect??? And does it sound like a good deal or just a load of bs?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

quit ur wining about gas prices and buy!!!! that thing must haul ass!!!!!!!!

phill

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Ifn it is the type tow vehicle you would like 2500 seems like apretty good price, and witha big block, well it may like the gas but pretty well pull anything you want it to, go for it and if you do not like it surely someone here will!!!

it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Since the owner did the coonversion look very carefully at the frame and see if he did a good job on shortening it. Most importantly the welding

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

damn shu, i just wanna make sure i'm not just buying a toy, I want it to be fun and practical. Impractical vehicles...well I already have one of those....it's a blazer [​IMG]

Sherman, Tx

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yes, it's the type tow vehicle i've been looking for. I'd really like 4 wheel drive, but in this part of the country one ton 4x4s have been flogged and worked pretty hard. Most have had 5th wheels or goosenecks behind them most of their life...

Sherman, Tx

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

good idea, made a post on what to look for and got great suggestions!

Sherman, Tx

11. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

BUY IT!! if not buy it for me. [​IMG]

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LOL sure....gonna go look at it and drive it now. see yall in a few.

bryan

Sherman, Tx

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well the answer is NOT. Nice running truck, but the frame shortening was a REAL hack job. I'd still buy it, but I want a truck that is not a basket case project...read: Reliable. If anyone is really interested and wants to do the frame up right, PM me and I'll get the guy's number out.

Sherman, Tx