Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crew cab/ suburban seat ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Dec 26, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I was curious as I have never dealt with suburbans, if they had the same front and middle bench seats as the crew cab. I would think they would being the floor layout would be the same (in my mind at least) as opposed to a reg cab pickup where the rear brackt bends up instead of down as on the crew cab.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, the Burb I had (ex-wife kept it :( ) had buckets in the front, and it's newer than my sixpack ('90 vs '74), so I don't have all the answers. However...

The Burb middle bench folds, 70/30 or so, so it differs from at least some pickup benches.

Old OLD crewcab benches did not fold at all (a la my '74.) Newer ones do fold, but I believe fold as one piece.

I'd love to hear from anybody with pix or info on the foldering rear crew cab bench, 'cuz I'd like to make mine fold (that space behind the seat is a PIT to get to without it!)

-- A

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i have 82 and 84 crew cabs. the 82 rear bench folds. whole back folds forward as one piece. the 84 had some funky seats from like a late 70's caddy?? in it elec in front and even the rear seat was from same car!! so i ripped them out finally today and threw in a bench from a reg cab truck in for the front seat temporarilly. i may go out to the "garage" and get another bench from a reg cab to throw in the back this week at some point. but whenm i have more money to throw into this truck i would like ot have decent seats all matching color etc etc. i am looking at options for sources for seats to throw in later when i have money to buy nice things for it.

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

The front seats are the same as the burb from the same years. The bench is the same and the buckets will bolt in by simply drilling the holes for the inboard mounting bolts. As for the rears I think they are the same as the reg cab benches with the rear mount sloped up. Not sure if the burb middle seat would work or not. From what I have seen in the yards the middle burb seat seems to be mounted further back from the front seat than the crewcabs. By "folding" the rear seat are you meaning the tilt forward style or one where the back actually folds like the burb? I am actually looking at trying to get the middle burb seat in the back of my crewcab because I would like the fold flat option for groceries and cargo while still having one seat for my sons carseat. The front buckets I have test fit and am working on getting recovered. Two holes and bolts for each is all that is needed.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well that is a good question. my brothers 89 crew cab may have the seat that folds all the way down flat in the rear. but i have not thought to try my 82 to see if its the same deal or not. i really should though. currently the seat thats in the front of the 84 is from a reg cab, so that i am sure just tilts forward. not quite all the way flat but close. i was kinda wonderin if the reg cab and crew rear seats had the same mounting position for the rear brackets. i will find out to be 100% sure when i get the other reg cab from the garage/ex boiler room for chicken barn. and in thinkin about it I also would like to have a seat in the rear that folds flat. nice for putting stuff in there. does the burb fold flat and touch the front bench? leaving no gap there....

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The back of the crewcab has the same floor profile as a a regular cab. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the crewcab rear seat and a regular-cab bench is one uses fixed brackets, the other has sliding tracks.

The Suburban has a dead-rise of 6-8" from the passenger floor up to the height of the load floor. The backrest of the middle seat mounts to this corner with a piano hinge. Judging from the door pillar, the seat sits a few inches further back that they do in the crewcab.

The floor under the rear seat area of the Suburban is flat, whereas the crewcab floor is pushed up for fuel tank clearance. To use the Suburban rear seat, you would need to re-work the floor considerably. You may want to look at the seats in some newer crewcabs that are designed to fold flat into a load floor.

The rear seats on my '91 crewcab, and on my Dad's '79 crewcab both fold forward (backrest only - to about 45*).

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

One thing I have considered is to install three buckets from one of the "dustbuster" vans they each have the back fold down flat with built in cup holders on the back. Then when it came time to put things in the back of the crewcab I could fold 1, 2, or even all three and still have the use of the floor space. Plus they are really comfy seats.