Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crew Cab SWB? Anyone done this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kandr_auto, Jan 17, 2005.

1. kandr_auto

kandr_auto Newbie

I just purchaced a 1988 LWB Crew Cab Single wheel. I am wanting to build a SWB Crew cab SWB. Wondering which frame i should use? Is a Suburban long enough? ANy help would be appriciated.

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

You are going to have to kustomize something for the frame. A sub frame will only be long enough for a 4' long bed. A LWB pickup frame is a bit longer so that might be your best bet. Other wise you would have to cut down your crewcab longbed frame. You could cut the frame of the crewcab off behind the cab and splice on the back end of a SWB frame. The only problem with that would be that the SWB frame would be from a half ton and probably a different thickness. I would just cut down the crewcab frame.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Matt (az-k5) and his dad built a NICE K30 crewcab shortbed pickup. There is a picture of it somewhere on here. He can tell you the specifics.

Harley

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

txfireman (I think) had built one. he wheeled it for a while then harvested the good parts and took the rest to scrap.

5. kandr_auto

kandr_auto Newbie

SWB Crew Cab

Well i am starting with a Tyson Chicken Fleet truck, it is 2 wheel crew cab LWB. I own a salvage yard, so i thought i maybe able to use some stuff i had for the swap. This will just be a beater so i may just use a Sububan frame and put a flat bed on it. I am looking for a Dana 60 front for the project. I am sure everyone is to. Thanks for info.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A suburban is too short between the wheels. We used the original crewcab frame and removed about 17" from the middle of the frame (just behind the rear most cab mount) then removed another 7" of the ends of the rear frame horns. This will require some shimming of the bed mounts and custom rear bumper brackets (or just a custom bumper). Ours started its life as a 1977 4x4 crewcab dually utility box work truck. It has all the bells on it now. I am really fond of it and plan on building another one for myself (this one was built for my mom) but I just might have to shove a cummind drivetrain in or go cheaper and swap in a 6.5.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

NICE red truck!!!!

I am planning in a few years of buying a crew cab and dropping it off my frame.. with some measuring.. the cab will be a few inches from the wheel well... then cut the bed to fit.. so I will have like a 36" bed.. good enough for the rollbar, spare tire and tools....

right now it is myself, wife and son in the truck.. we are trying to have another child.. if all this practice finally pays out.. and she gets pregnant.. I will have about 2 years before I really need to worry bout this.. but it is that or sell the truck.... I have had this truck since 1989 (or parts of it) so it isnt going anywhere!!!!

8. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I just got a 83 3+3 cab complete with a rebuildable 454 for $500.00. I'm putting it on my 89 sub frame and attaching the rear of the sub directly to cab like an Avalanche.