Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crew cab year above 10k gvwr

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Aug 31, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so now I at some point will need to get rid of my truck... myself, wife and son fit tight in the truck.... so we are trying to have another kid.... when we do.. that lil guy wont fit... unless i mount a brat seat in the back for my 5 year old and or wife :haha:

anyhow.. I had a crazy idea... while looking for a new truck a few weeks ago... I found out that chevy actually has gvwr trucks above 10k...

what is the oldest truck that is a crew cab with a gvwr above 10k...

the deal for that is one thing...
    crew cab for extra people....
    gvwr above 10k = lift law exempt
    gvwr above 10k = should have a diesel - old chevies suck but at least a diesel
    gvwr above 10k = rocks and 53's!!!!! :bow:

oh yeah... I also only want the truck for the cab to place on my frame... and chop my bed down.... so I wont have the long ass crew cab frame... and maybe end up with a diesel that I could cleanup and drop a turbo on.....
    diesel I could care about...

2. RootBreaker

found the answer to my own question...

simple ebay search....
    found one on ebay
    1979... emailed the guy and he said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4571598977&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

The GVR is 11,800 and the payload is 4 ton. Thanks.

NICE.....
    that cab would be perdy on my truck.... rollbar in the bed still.. chopped bed would be to the wells I believe.... YAHOOOOOOO SOME DAY!!!!!

now I know what I am searching for....Once I get cash...
    tired of my wire problems now...
    [​IMG]

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

AFAIK, the pickups didn't come over 10k GVWR. :( Only the factory cab & chassis models could be had with 11k GVWR. The 11,800 lbs the seller is claiming may be owner spec'd for insurance purposes. (We have two-tier GVW specs here also.)

For '81-up it is easy to tell the factory GVWR from the VIN...
    [​IMG]

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I've had a lot of 1 tons. I've only seen the pick ups in 9K and 10K. The cab and chasis dullies went up to 11K, I've never heard of a crew cab at 11.8K.

Eric M.

5. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

ive seen P-30 chassis's (breadvan) rated at 12K

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I think the SRW models were 9500 gvwr and the DRW models were 10000 gvwr.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I've seen some crewcabs with slightly LOWER GVWR's than the single cabs, presumably 'cuz they're heavier.

A random sampling of the brochures only list GVW's to 10k for 30 series with bed (1973, 1977, 1982). 1988 lists 10.5k and 11k for cab&chassis.

I'm with Eric M on this one -- 10k is likely the highest in a fairly normal pickemup.

Now, weird spring options could bump it up ... or weird paperwork, especially for older trucks...

-- A

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I also believe that 10,000 lbs. was the max limit given on a solid axle body style GM truck that came equiped with a bed. I had a 1983 GMC K-3500 Crew Cab Dooley that was maxed out in testosterone --- 454-465/205-D60-HD D70 with 4.56's and over load auxliary rear springs and all it had was a 10,000 lbs. rating.

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 81 is only 10,000

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Because gvwr is the vechicle and its payload the weight of the vechicle doesnt change its rating, kinda i guess. If you took a 1 ton chevy and took its bed off the gvwr wouldnt go up, or down cause its the total that the vechicle can handle.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

:doah:

There I go, confusing GVWR and GCWR again. Sorry!

-- A

12. RootBreaker

I wanna bring this back up again....
    Since my wife is pregnant.. my summer project will be a crew cab..
    I think people misunderstood my question originally...

I have to do a crew cab... so if I could find a year that had 10,001 or higher.. I would do that... anyone know of one? as long as it is a crew cab dually or not dont matter.... im going to put the cab on my frame and chop the bed to make it fit...... I just need more seat room!!!! :haha:

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

my 88 k5 is registered as 10,001 ;) ive got preminant truck plates. thank you DMV. havent been pulled over in the year ive had the plates. it doesnt exempt us from lift laws and such, but it increases the bumper hight limit, which i needed desperately. im still a couple inches over, but no hassle from the po-po.

14. RootBreaker

see that is the problem in NJ... you can register your 1/2 ton pickup for 99,000lbs... they dont care... they look at the VIN plate and go by that...
    hence I have a 8400gvrw and in the highest class of my chevy.. now if I had a 10,001 or higher.. I can still register as a 5500gvrw to keep registration down... and would be exempt from lift laws... and run 44's... however I would be polite and take the truck through inspection... but they would just bypass the bumper heights, door height, and all that stuff... but still check horn, emmissions, brakes, suspension play, correct lift and all.......

15. RootBreaker

I found a 1980 cab with a code of Z for gvrw.. anyone know what that would be?

16. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Well if they are as lenient as you say, then why don't you just find a C&C and put the cab on your frame? Although, the C&C frame would be stronger.

I am still trying to figure out how a higher gvw = rock's and 53's? and a diesel? :confused:

17. RootBreaker

easy.... a gvrw over 10k is self inspected.... so hence.. dont have to go through normal inspection... so you can put rocks as deuces have them.... and 53" michelins are dot legal... the only thing is make sure you have mechanical steering, etc....

id rather go 10" lift and 44's and that is it though......

but still i will go crew cab even if I cant find one.. then cant lift any higher...

so when NJ did their revamp of lift laws.... they did their homework.. but left a small hole.. and that hole is dueable....

18. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it is over 10K and not 10k and over? In NH I just registered my 88 v3500 crew cab dually with camper/tow packages and it is 10K GVW. The lady at the town office allowed me to register as 8900GVW so that I would not have to pay commercial rate and stop for commercial weigh stations on the highway. Being that this is my tow rig that was the best option for me. I don't know how much highway driving you do but might want to think about the weigh station thing

19. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

80 and earlier do not use the 4th digit for GVW they use it for the "series" . The only Z option in pre 81s is manufacturing plant "freemont" wich doesn't help you much.

20. RootBreaker

hah,.... that is funny.. thanks....