Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CREW CABS!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ntaj*ep, Dec 1, 2002.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any pictures or info on the '67-'72 crew cab conversions? I found a few pictures myself and am now very interested in them. I think if you took a suburban and cut it behind the rear door you could weld in the back of a pickup cab. Or something like that.
    So what do you guys know? I will post the pictures I have soon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i saw some in hot rod magazines. i decide i was gonna go this route for my rod b/c i am tall. the way i decided to do it was to get to truck cabs and piece them together. thios was using a 37 chevrolet though. I dont see why your idea wouldnt work. its basically the same it just saves you the trouble of fabbing in the door just the back wall.

just my .02
    69K5
    nathan

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The only problem is that the burbs were only 3 door in that era. What would you do for the other door?

4. 71blaz

71blaz Registered Member

there is one running around here.I'll see if i can get some photos of it.I stopped and looked at it and it appears to be a 3/4 ton carryall (sub)that was cut behind the back door and a pickup cab back attached and then a bed long or short i don't remember, I think short fleet.I still has 3 doors which is

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

truck or van door????

nathan

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

71blaz, that would be sweet!
    I think if it still had 3 doors that would be OK, but if I could figure out how to get 4 doors that would be even better. I have pictures of a conversion using two sets of front doors(which I think would be lame in the here and now) and another which is as of yet unconfermed real or not. With two front doors, and two rears, where the drivers rear came from I have no idea but it does look /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

I have seen some pics of some that were said to have been produced by GM for railroad and forestry contracts. They had a small right up on one in Peterson's 4Wheel and Offroad a few years ago. They had front and rear doors on both sides. Another option for your rear doors would be to cut a pair of front doors strait where the vet window support is and fab a channel for the window and then bring it up to the frame. That way you can still use a cap from a truck without having to fab new door openeings. It would also make it easier to get you door glass and guts taken care of.

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

9. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I like the concept - but can't stand the front used on the back doors. I'd rather a three door with a suburban back door - not sure if the same window could be used for the drivers side.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

HEHE, you found me out! I'm also K5KRAZIE on that board. Thanks to you, or should I say no thanks to you. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I was wondering why you weren't on that board. Well, my board name over there is the same, I've got too many damn logins and passwords as it is...

I just dig AlaskanMan's truck. I think the cut down 'burb looks much better than the "double cab" set up.
    [​IMG]

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Oh ya that thing is badd a$$!
    I've been looking into getting a new 1500HD from Chev. But now I don't know..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I can not stop thinking about these! I need to get it out of my head! NO MORE PROJECTS!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I'm now headlong into the reasearch on these trucks.
    Anyone know of any places on the web with info on them? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. blazerman383

blazerman383 Registered Member

So how does this work? You completely cut out the rockers? What kind of bumpers are you running on your rig? Looks kick ass!
    Mike.

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

A lot of fab work but could get another rear passanger door and frame and turn it around, rework the door and there is your rear left door. Lot of work but would look great.

Another way would be to get 2 truck cabs and 2 suburban Door post & rear doors. Mount the door post in the middle of the streched body. The front and rear doors openings are now there. Next you'll have to rework the hinges and lock mec. on the drivers side (rear) the drivers door lock needs to be modified to hold the stricker. The new crew cab body is ready for paint.

17. dwayne67

dwayne67 Newbie

I found what looks to be a 1967 GMC 3 door pickup /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, just like the one in the above picture but a GMC, and im shure its a 67 because of the small backwindow, all thats there is the cab the small 3rd side door, and the shorthend box, i was wondering if anyone has any information on these trucks, and were they accually built by a company, this one looks to be built right, whoever did it did a good job,

only problem is that its in the middle of the bush, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks
    dwayne

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Most of the 3 door(xtra cabs) were a "factory" conversion.
    Which is to say the truck was built then sent to a conversion company then sold. The xtra cabs were cool you could basiclly add a door on to the drivers side and get a bad a$$ crew cab. The crew cab conversions of the time were basiclly two front doors one behind the other with a filler plate. The crew cab I want(ed) to build would be more like the trucks are today, seamless from the front door to rear door. I actually have a picture of what I'm talking about........

19. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

IMO, the "right" way is to splice a Burb and a pickup together. 3 doors is fine - it was fine on a Burb, so why not? Most of the conversions used an extra two front doors, or just a stretch like the one earlier in this thread. The Burb splices look nice... btu I think they're custom jobs.

Here's an example:
    [​IMG]

and another...
    [​IMG]

20. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

THOSE ARE SWEETTTTT!!!!