Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CrewCab Owners or Dually Owners

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fierospeeder, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

No one really goes into the truck section, and i seen someone post a crewcab question in here and got some answers. Heres my post from the other section.

I want to buy a crew cab between the years of 83-86. A 4X4 one ton, 454 engine with dual gas tanks. I always wanted a chevy truck to make a monster truck out of. I go to the junk yard a lot, and haul wood for my wood projects and its a pain using my moms van and it has limitations. I will be pulling car engines soon and i will need a p/u for that and other car parts.

I went to a junkyard and saw a crew cab and thought it looked sweet. I thought that having 4 doors is great, theres probably things i cant put in the bed that would need to be kept in the truck. My question for the guys/gals who own these trucks, what is it like to drive them. Are they too long? Is it a pain in the ass to pull out of a drivethrough? I do know they suck in fuel economy and it wont be a daily driver for me. What are the pros and cons about the crewcabs length.
    Also, the duallys are sweet too. But i want to do the suspension lift and big tires so im kinda out for that. But the duallys have that kewl semi truck look. What is the haul capacity for a dually and non dually. I might be towing cars in the future, and i know this trucks gonna be a keeper. Ive also read that duallys suck more in the snow then normal single wheel trucks. That is a concern for me cause i live in chicago, and my tbird totally sucks when the rear is light.

Also, is there any websites with people that have crewcabs.
    thanks
    erik

74 VW Beetle
    84 Pontiac Fiero
    87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo
    83 Honda Nighthawk 550

2. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

In the winter a 4x4 dually is fine, a 2wd sucks. As for the length...you`d better know where your truck ends and other peoples vehicles begin [​IMG]

I run around in an 86 chevy creb cab and a 2000 ford f550 creb cab on a regular basis and they both have big boxes on them. I have taken them though the drivethoughs with no problem. Just have to know your truck.

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have driven several Crew Cabs in the past and they are a pain to negotiate at times. Basicly imagine driving a regular longbed truck w/ 3 more feet in the wheel base. It can be tricky. There is no such thing as a tight turn, or even a 3 point turn, on some roads. I would love to have one myself, for the 4 doors. They are not all bad, just trying to turn them or pull into a garage door while turning some. Thats a lot of side to have to watch out for.

There was a guy in the town south of me that had a dually 4 door on 42 Swampers. Talk about a monster! I never got an up close look at it but was told he tubbed the rear like a prostreeter to tuck the tires up under it.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 ext cab (new body style) dually. I pull trailers all the time including my 20' dovetail that my Blazers gets hauled on. I used to use a single rear wheel and will never go back!! Dual rear wheels is the only way to go for towing. There is an ext. cab 4X4 around here that's on 38's. It's true they really do suck in snow with 2wd but a little weight and lock the front in and you'll be O.K. It took me about a week to get used to my truck and where it is at all times but that's with anything new. Now I whip it into places my wife says are for little cars only!

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>http://www.extremeblazer.com</a>

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

were are you located. there is one in bend And I think it is for sale 454 blue paint 44 inch boggers If you are interested I will find the phone # for you.
    colin

Save the whales Harpoon a fat chick.

6. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

Im located in Illinois. But im probably on planning to buy one next year. I was hoping to give my fiero to my g/f. But now she has to move back home. Unless someone is renting a room for very cheap. Her sister is kicking her out, she needs her privacy.

My driveway is full of cars right now. I probably can squeeze a truck in but it will be bumper to bumper.
    I do look at the traderonline and ebay, and most crewcabs go for a lot of money. Trucks are like vettes, they dont really depriciate in value..

thanks
    erik

74 VW Beetle
    84 Pontiac Fiero
    87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo
    83 Honda Nighthawk 550

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My 87 (2wd) is heaven to drive - rides good for a one ton, and really isn't too hard to fit anywhere. The only problem I've got with it's length is that when I pull straight into the driveway with it, the ass-end hangs off of the flat, and over the slope, making the bed inaccessible[​IMG]

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>