Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Critique my cam selection!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZPiNsTrIpEd, Feb 27, 2007.

1. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

Ok, I think I pretty much narrowed down the cam I want after hours of searching.

Specs are: 350 w/ edelbrock intake, carb and hooker headers. I have 5.13's and a 700r4 and drive it on the weekends to the trails. Are there any other cams you guys would recommend for my setup? I do mostly trails and rocks.

Thanks

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Part Number[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12-235-2 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Engine[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1955-1998 Chevrolet
    262ci-400ci
    8cyl.
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grind Number [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CS X4 254H-11 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Description[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intake[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Exhaust[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Valve Adjustment[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gross Valve Lift[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0.447 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0.462 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]254 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]262 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Valve Timing At 0.006 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Open[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Close[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intake[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]54 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Exhaust[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]66 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 107 Intake CL[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intake[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Exhaust[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duration At 0.05 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]210 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]218 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lobe Lift[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0.298 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0.308 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lobe Separation[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]111 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recommended Valve Springs[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]981-16[/FONT]

Edit: So much for copy and paste!!!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I think its a good choice . Keep the low end power and the idle quality for wheeling .

Good choice for cruising too . You will be relatively low rpm in OD with those gears at that tire size or taller . And need the low rpm grunt for passing without leaning into it .

3. AZPiNsTrIpEd

Thanks Pauly:waytogo:

4. pauly383

Now about your carb choice :rolleyes:

I would go quadrajet . I can count how many times I have stalled on one hand . Thats in 5 years of various wheeling terrain . And the smaller primaries help out with economy AND low end control when crawling .

Especially for the manual tranny guys like Allan who need to deal with 3 pedals :wink1:

5. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

one of the best tools i ever bought was desktop dyno...you can put in all your specs and see were you get hp and torque....and for all the non belivers in it we used it to build a motor for my buddies dirt late model...then the motor was put on the engine dyno it was 3 hp off and 1 ft lbs of torque off...you can really find good diffrent coices or get a cam custom ground 4 you...i recomend the program for cam selection...

6. pauly383

Yes , and I agree . But not all of us are building racing motors , or on budget for such endevours anyway .

I still think for an off the shelf grind , in a relatively stock 350 , its a good choice .

7. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

im using it for my street motor...the cams i thought i would get good power from i was but out of my rpm range...its a 30 dollar program and you can pick a cam that might help you gain some better hp and torque...plus you know what you got hp and torque wise so its always good...

8. AZPiNsTrIpEd

I agree,I still stall out at steep angles even after the neddle and seat kit and float adjustment. Either a quadrajet or truck avenger are in the future, propane might be an option also.

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I just found out you can go with a roller cam cheaper than you think.

If you have a tbi truck 350 engine (92-96 I think), those didn't come with a roller cam, but had the provisions for one. You just have to some OEM roller lifters and that tin bracket that keeps the rollers from spinning, and that's it. GM Parts Direct carries it as a kit for about $200. Then all you need is the roller cam.

And if you get the lifters and bracket from a junkyard you'll have a roller engine for less than half than a retrofit kit.

10. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you will love that cam! I run a similar cam in my BBC and it made an incredible difference in power!

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

CamQuest6 is another good one (maybe even better than DD2000)?

It's put out by CompCams and is specifically for cam selection. You can have the program make suggestions (with HP/TQ graphs for each) or build your own and ignore their advice.

I used this to pick cams for my 502 and 496. The 502 looks like it's going to be a monster with about 602 Fb/Ft of torque at about 1500RPM!!! :eek1:

The program made it really easy to narrow down the choices quickly. You can get it from Summit for around $30 too IIRC.

:usaflag:

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

My 87 block also had provisions for a roller. All I need to do was tap the bosses for the windage tray and its good to go.