Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

critique my lift and Tire plan

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89fullsiz, Mar 31, 2004.

1. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

Ok after doing a bit of research on this and other boards, and a first time ever wheeling (Oh it was fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here is what I've come up with...

The truck is meant as a daily driver, I work from home so the most miles I could see in a year would be around 12k. I don't know about becoming hard core 4 x 4 guy. I went up on the mountain at Brown camp in the Tilamock NF and had a great time. Trails muddy and kinda crazy but that is the kind of wheeling I see my self doing more of /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So I'm thinking a

4 inch rough country ez lift all springs
    Bilstien or EMU (think thats it) Shocks
    15 x 10 Eagle 589's or M\T classics

Here is the big questions Tires, There are alot of choices in 33\12.5\15 I'd probably go BFG MT's in that size.

BUT I REALLY want to go wider at least 13.5 maybe even 14.5. Sticking with 33's because of gearing. Any suggestions on tires? Sound like a good plan????

2. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

sounds like a plan. for a daily driver you might want to just go with those bfg's the way they are. just air down on the trail for a larger footprint.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

You 15x10 rims will make your 33/12.50's stick out and appear wider.

4. 89fullsiz

LOL I KNOW, but I have ALOT of poser in me and love the look of the wide Mud tires on K5's.. But your right plus the BFG's or tires close it in that size are much cheaper than the ssr's etc...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Forget about buying aluminum wheels in 15" diameter. When you grenade your 10 bolt rear axle and decide to go to a 14 bolt, you're going to have to either ditch the aluminum idea and go steel or move up to 16" or larger wheels.

My opinion is to go 3/4 ton now and match your wheels to the axles (8 lug). No sense in buying two sets of wheels, just do it once and do it right.

6. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Hey this is pretty much what I am ordering too. Glad to know it should work. Thanks

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Sound reasonable to me. The only thing I would go 15x8 and get some 33 12.5 MTRs My .02

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Good stuff!

The ROugh Country lift is a good lift and will flex well, but it rides pretty rough so you know, I used to run the 4"

In fact if you want a 4" lift I can sell you most of it for real cheap, email or PM me

If you just want 33's, really just get some commercial 33x12.5 tires, with the 15x10's they'll stick out, you can get some wheel spacers if you want the rear to stick out a bit. Less wide will be less hard on the balljoints too.

Good luck man!

9. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

If you want to go wider theres always the baja claws, and those things look sick!
    -Kell-

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

89fullsiz,

Ok this would be my depratment. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif If you want a wide tire and wheel combo I would go with 15x14 welds on 33x15.50 SX's. VERY popular combo around here and looks awesome. I would run a 6" lift maybe 8". Another combo is the 325 BFG M/T, it is basically a 31x14 and looks pretty good on a 12" rim.

Oh and dont call youself a poser, thats dumb....You are just someone that chooses to drive something nice every day than a hacked, trail beaten turd. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah, feel proud to dive an overtall, chrome impregnated, baloon tire, super shiney to the tires turd!

Diversity of turds!

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, feel proud to dive an overtall, chrome impregnated, baloon tire, super shiney to the tires turd!

Diversity of turds!

[/ QUOTE ] Turd bahahahahahahahaaaaaa, I would be testy too if I drove a ugly beat trail rig like yours. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Resale value would easily show which is a "turd" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Lick my chrome turd boy... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. Resurrection_Joe

I'm sure you're into "off roading" because of the resale value.....

Ooooh a bit more chrome and I may be able to sell it for 20k!

I would love to have a truck like yours, I'm just bling intolerant, makes me nauseous /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. 89fullsiz

Hah you guys are cracking me up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The name of the game for me with the truck is moderation. My TA alreay has the $4000 rims I can't afford another set like that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've already got headers and Vortec head swap on the mind!

But I'm going to check out the 325 BFG's.

I plan on trail ridding type wheeling 4-5 times a year so I'm not a rock crawler or anything. While the truck is definately not bling. It is a nice condition no rust rig with a new (not done very well) paint...

HMmm 12 inch rims do look sweet and the SSR's come in 33\15.5\15.......

Back to reality /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Does anyone have pics of a setup with 4 inch lift, 33\12.5\15's on a 10 inch rim? Any other pics would be cool too I looked through the users pics saw a couple. But not all angles.

I think 4 inch is max right now I feel like I'm driving a monster truck all ready LOL!

15. rjfguitar

THe SX is the 33x15.50 but they are a little rough on the road. I would go with the 33x14.50 SSR's. I had them for a while and I really liked them a lot.

16. 89fullsiz

The SSR's are what I'm leaning towards Desertrat has them for 1289 with MT classic II's. I was looking at the 33\13.5 baja claw but I like the idea of a radial and a little wider /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Of course this is all internet learning only thing I know is worn down Les Schwab wild countries still work OK but they are loud as hell /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

17. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Turd bahahahahahahahaaaaaa, I would be testy too if I drove a ugly beat trail rig like yours. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Resale value would easily show which is a "turd" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Lick my chrome turd boy... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so if your going to bring the topic up, what IS the resale value of your vehicle? And How Much Have You Spent? I spose it's also nessesary to ask if you do the work yourself, or pay to have it done (that will defantily have an effect on the overall $$$)

hmmmmmm?

-Technologically Advanced Turd Pilot.

18. rjfguitar

Roughly $17k and that includes what I paid for 3 different sets of tires I have had on it. And...I have done ALLLLLL the work myself. If I did a little interior work I would be able to get $10k for it no prob, maybe a little more.

19. Resurrection_Joe

Trade ya!

Have you ever posted pics of the interior?

Is it all custom and cooooooool?

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Trade ya!

Have you ever posted pics of the interior?

Is it all custom and cooooooool?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No but it will be. I am doing the paint and interior this spring. Black cherry with everything shaved on the outside and reapolstered black and red leather seats, aftermarket black door panels, dash, colored trim. All new billet aftermarket interior trim parts, power everything, 3D flames on the head liner and down the bed sides with black carpet over them. Black carpet from the firewall to the tailgate. All Autometer guages. Chrome all my shocks, powder coat my skid plates...probably around $25K when done. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif