Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Critique my new gas tank frame!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwdjunky, May 3, 2004.

1. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

When I parted out an '88 Suburban into my truck, I thought it would be a good idea to lose the saddle tank and get a 40 gallon tank with the in tank pump that worked with the fuel injection. The only problem was there was no way to fit the Suburban tank behind the axle on my shortbed truck. A friend of mine fabbed up this frame using the crossmembers from the Suburban to mount the tank above my rear axle. The skid plate from the suburban was even retained. He hasn't finished quite yet, for now there is just a hole sawzalled in the bed to fit around it (all the wood will be replaced with expanded metal grating soon) and there is going to be a pre-runner style spare tire rack built on top of/behind the tank frame. Anyway, here are the pics of how it is now. Tell me what you think. Thanks! Rich.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Looks good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Interested in seeing the completed bed. Enjoy filling that 40 gallon tank. Don't know what your gas prices are. But I'm paying about 2 bucks a gallon. 40 gal x 2.00 = /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

The pump at 7-11 shut off at $60.00 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

most here shut off at 50. Its like "whoa I'm just over half done here." Still another 30 bucks to go /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif sweet