Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Critique my welds

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, May 14, 2004.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Here are some weld I ran tonight. they were all on 3/16" plate.

Here is a pic with .035" Solid wire and argon/CO2 shielding (75/25) gas

[​IMG]

Now the next two pics are on the same material (3/16") but I switched to .035" flux-cored wire

[​IMG]

and another

[​IMG]

So let me know what you guys think!!! Any tips for improving...

Also I noticed that with the fluxcored wire, my welds are more prone to having some porosity. What would cause this? Moving too fast? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyhow, any and all input is appreciated!

Chris

2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Welds look pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Flux-core IMO is poop by the way.

3. fortcollinsram

I know, I have never been a big flux-core fan, but i have noticed that I get much better penetration when compared to solid .035" wire on my machine (Lincoln sp-135plus) and 75/25 argon/CO2. I may try a tank of CO2 to see if I get better penetration with it.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

With a smaller machine like the 135, You would probably be alot happier and get better results with .030 solid wire. .035 is a bit big for a 135. Takes more heat to run the bigger wire. A bit less to run the .030. I dunno what the duty cycle on that machine is, but with less heat, it obviously won't heat up as fast, therefore not risk hitting the duty cycle thingy. .030 seems to run a bit smoother. I would bet you had your machine at the upper ends of it's heat range to run .035 on 3/16 plate? .030 would help that a bit. Otherwise, your welds look decent for the first few. Practice makes perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

They look pretty good, I am still trying to perfect the skill too, but compared to KidJethro's my weld's look like I did them with my feet. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

take and clamp one of those plates in a solid vice and beat the hell out of the other plate with a BFH. Then take a picture. If the plates are still welded together and bent to [darn] the welds are structurally correct as well as pretty. Nice job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Welds look pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Flux-core IMO is poop by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too general a statement. Fistly the single shield 'gasless' flux core does do a better job penetration wise. Secondly, with enough practice it can be made to look decent when you're done (although it's tough)

Lastly, there are many types of flux cored wired out there...and the majority of them make microwire look plain ugly. A dual shield flux cored wire like Lincoln's 71-M with a CO2 shield is an amazing looking weld with exceptional penetration. The thing is I don't think you can easily find a dual shield flux cored wire in a 2 lb spool. Most are the the 30-55 lb spools...

Anyways, Chris...your welds don't look bad. A little less gun movement and the welds would look smoother. The stacked dimes thing is a bunch of hooey. It's mostly a crutch to keep travel speed consistant. I agree with Joe, .030 microwire would probably run a lot smoother and keep your machine away from the upper limits (allowing longer weld times before the duty cycle limits things)

Rene

8. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

thats why I said IMO: im my opinion. I personally have not had great times with it. Im sure that there are many people who can make it work great, but not me. However its not like I am an expert welder or anything. If a weld is uglier than my feet, but it holds, then its fine with me. Unless its in a highly visable place, like a bumper. Then i drink some coffee and go use my friends tig. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If a weld is uglier than my feet, but it holds, then its fine with me. Unless its in a highly visable place, like a bumper. Then i drink some coffee and go use my friends tig.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Rene

10. fortcollinsram

Right Awn guys...I am gonna go outside and do the weld-in steering brace today and I will see how it turns out /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Chris