Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Critique Please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 10pax, Feb 20, 2006.

1. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

The first two are the before pictures. Everything was taken down to the metal and all body sealer was removed. Everything I could get to anyways. The second two are after I put A LOT of effort into getting all the crap off of it. Man when they say prep is 80% of paint.......I'm here to tell you it's 99% EDIT The patches are of two different locations but they were in the same condition before and after. The dates are wrong but this camera is a shop camera for a reason.....HAHA
    James

MAKIN IT SHINY.JPG

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not a great fix. A option but not a great one. Metal will still rust out under the sealer. Only way to really stop rust is to cut out the "infected" metal and weld in fresh clean metal then prep and coat that.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Much neater job on the seam sealer than the slobs at the factory...

Rene

4. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

I did cut all the old cancer out. Then I migwelded a patch overlap. The primer is zink inriched, as well. I should have explained a little more. Sorry. I read a zillion post in here before and during the job which helped a bunch.

James

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry for assuming you just patched over it. In that case, looks like one of the cleanest jobs I've seen short of blending the panels together. Far better fix than the PO of my old K5 with his ziploc bags, siding aluminum, caulk, and screws...

6. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

I really wanted to butt weld the patches but I'm not that good at welding yet so I opted for the next best thing. Sometime later in the week I will get underneath and grind the bottom of the patches and ixisting metal and zink prime it then fill in the overlap with the body sealer and hopefully I won't have any problems in the future with rust in those areas. I also painted the surface rust areas with Rust Fix. Comes in a rattle can. Expensive (5 bucks a can IIR) but supposed to work real good. I used it in these areas so I didn't grind the integrity of the steel too much. Did I just ruin what I worked for? I sprayed it pretty good in the body seams too.

James

7. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. Any more goods or bads? I still have to do the other side and the rest of the front. Good critisism will help me for the rest of it so I know it's right

James

8. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

Por15

POR 15 (check it out) they have a website - my floor is done and the stuff is tuff. supposed to seal out the rust.