Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crome crap for the street toy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As most of y'all know, I have a 78 El Camino that will be a street toy. I've always had alot of crome crap on the street toys engine. Always like the classic look, Engine painted Chevy Orange, and the AC Delco Crome valve covers, air breather, timing cover, ...ect. ( The AC Delco Crome with the bowtie and "CHEVROLET" in raised letters. ) Anywho, I'm asking should I do that again on the El Camino, or should I go with a more modern look ?? What do you think ??[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I say go with the classic look unless your putting a new LS1 or something like that will all aluminum and polished runners.

PS chrome adds more horsepower. That reminds me I need to clean my bling on my motor to get some horses back. :xmas:

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not going wild with this one, it's just a street car. Was planning on building a 327, but now I'm just thinking a 355 , nothing wild, I'd be happy with 300 horse.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya can't spell Classic without using Class!:D

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

True, but I'm also thinking stuff like [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I like matte. I've alwyas thought a white clock with matte black accesories would look cool

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay ?? Don't quite get what that has too do with a engine.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

*ahem*

BLOCK!

THE IRONY OF MY MISSPELLING CONFUSING Z3PR

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Oh, okay. Either way, the block will be Chevy Orange.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Am I the only person that like the look of a sbc painted in that mid 70's Chevy blue:whistle: I think it looks cool all done up with some chrome:cool1: I would never do it to a car that came stock with an orange engine.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I dont like the AC-Delco accesories personally, they look cheap. I am the all mighty blingmaster, all hail me.....anyway, suprisingly enough I didnt use any chrome on my motor besides the air cleaner lid, just a little polished aluminum for some brackets I made to hold sensors, and the power steering resevoir and the timing chain cover. If I was building a motor like your talking about, I would use these valve covers http://paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=25266 Or if I was more on a budget, these, theyare polished aluminum, not chrome http://paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=25261

For the timing chain cover, I have a Cloyes on my big block(like you showed in your second post), nice heavy duty unit. I would probably get one, high polish it, then clearcoat it.

And for the breather. If you go with the polished valve covers, http://paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=126165 and if you go chrome http://paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=25107 The only reason I would say depending on what you choose, when they are that close together, you can tell the difference between chrome and polished aluminum.

Notice those lids are blank, then I would get a decal that shows your engine specs. 327, 350, 383, etc, they make tons of em, get one and put on your breather lid muscle car style.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm suprised. The A/C Delco crome crap has always looked good to me. It seams too be thicker then alot of the crome valve covers on the market, but it's been quite a few years sence I last bought any, so who knows anymore.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

maybe the stuff ive seen passed as ac delco is the jcwhitney crap, who knows, at a carshow, stick the crappy stuff in the good boxes and resell, it happens, I just really like those other vc's, not the stamped steel chrome ones.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always the AC Delco crome from Jeg's. I'm still debating crome or aluminum. Price has always been a factor, So the AC Delco crome still looks good to my pocket book, LOL.

15. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I would go with polished cast aluminum covers over the stamped steel stuff. The valve covers and timing cover on my 388 are cast and they do not leak. The steel stuff deforms over time and then you start to get puddles in your driveway.:doah:

[​IMG]

16. dontoe

I try not to use chrome in places that aren't easy/convenient to wipe off as it rusts. Hate putting nice shiny stuff on and then a year or two later it is turning brown. I spent $1500.00 on a new front wheel assembly on my Shovel and two years later it looks just like the old one. I need my shop to help prevent the moisture from killing everything. That and all stainless or aluminum bling bling!

Purtty motor Beast388, absolutely gorgeous.

17. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Thanks!:D

Now days it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Not quite as shiny.:doah: :1zhelp: :waytogo: But that aluminum isn't rusting.:D

18. dontoe

Ya notice any improvement with the MSD.................I sure did!

19. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

We're hijackin' this thread!:D

This motor has always had the MSD on it, so it is difficult to tell if there was an improvement. I can tell you that it runs great and starts up when it is 20 below outside.:D

20. dontoe

Sorry Z3PR...................

[​IMG]