Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crome molly or DOM?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

they will cost ABOUT the same. and the crome molly is stronger and lighter yet a bit harder to bend. what shoul i get? and is 2.25 inches by .120 going to be stout enough for my blazer?
    grant /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

CroMo is harder to weld too. Not necessary unless your pushing for every last pound of weight savings and need maximum strength. Baha competitions come to mind. DOM is also overkill in most cases. Most cage builders feel that 1.75 or 2" x 0.120 HREW is sufficient for a full size cage. I’m using 1.75 x 0.120 HREW which is common even for competition rock crawler vehicles which roll frequently. The key element of cage strength is design (triangulation, support, gusseting, etc.) not large, heavy tubes. IMHO, save the money and put it into other things.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I agree....don't use the chromolly and don't use 2.25".....1.75" x .120 is plenty. I also went with HREW

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, cool. makes a bit more room in the cab area for me. what does HREW stand for? DOM is drawn on mandral....
    grant

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hot Rolled, Electrically Welded. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene