Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crooked steering wheel AFTER wheelin'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Mar 24, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Crooked steering wheel AFTER wheelin\'

Why would my steering wheel turn after/while wheelin'. When I go wheelin my steering wheel becomes misaligned to the right everytime. It's not so bad now that I have the hydro assist.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Crooked steering wheel AFTER wheelin\'

i cant tell you why but it happens to most of us lol

3. scoutillac

The damn thing trows my blinkers off too until I get off my lazy butt and adjust the drag link. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Happens to me alot, too. I would assume on most rigs, its just all the parts shifting just enough to throw the steering off. For example, the front axle U-bolts. I have had these come loose slightly and allow the axle to shift foreward and back. Usually the centering pin in the leaf springs keeps things aligned, but there's still a little give. I have had a few that sheared off, too. Then there's always the steering box bolts. Only real way to correct is like you said, re-adjust the draglink again. Maybe just check to make sure everything is tightened down.

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

mine did this alot till i did new poly body mounts....now it stays in place most of the time....

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine doesn't do that anymore. Weld-on frame kit, bolt on brace, new DLE's, new TRE's, good rag-joint, U-bolts are tight and the box bolts are tight.

It's usually due to the box moving around either from cracked frame or loose bolts. Broken center bolt in a leaf pack will also do that to your steering...but that would have been very apparent.

Rene

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, mine did that. Now that I have the ORD brace and I tightened down the box it doesn't happen anymore... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It is just as mentioned above, movement in the axle. The center pin is not a perfect fit on the pad. As the suspension cycles the axle can move just enough to notice. The short draglink can throw the wheel out in less than a 1/16" difference. I got tired of dealing with it and just leave it as it is. If you adjust it, it will happen next time but the opposite direction. It is just another reason to do x-over.

9. tRustyK5

The perch to spring area shouldn't move at all if the U-bolts are correectly torqued and the center pin isn't broken. I have yet to see a center pin to perch interface that was sloppy...most fill with rusty debris and practically weld themselves together.

The box moving is much more likely, and there are at least two reasons the box can move.

Rene

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I think the perch spring issue is a south west issue more (we can't rust things together if we want to). My 44 had the perches wallered out to around 5/8". I checked the torque (140 ft-lbs) on the u-bolts about twice a month too.

11. tRustyK5

Let's be brutally honest...the only way the hole in the perch is gonna get wollered out is for the U-bolts to be loose at some point. If the perch hole is good and the U-bolts are tight it shouldn't move. Once the hole gets wollered out, any good impact will move the diff.

Rene

12. scoutillac

I always run through all my stuff before I go wheelin. This helps eliminate possible trail breaks. Ya know! I just inspected the bolts and frame when I put the new box on. All is well. I do have a short drag link. But why would it always turn the wheel to the right????? Well atleast I'm not the only one with this problem.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I suppose I shoud qualify my tightening statement. I do now cause I didn't before and now I have too. So you're right rene. If it is tightened properly that would never happen anyway.