Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CROOKED TRUCK?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by purple89jimmy, Nov 17, 2001.

1. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

My Jimmy rides down the road a little crooked. When you look at it from behind the rear is to the right and the front is to the left. The only reason I can think of for this is that it has been wrecked and the frame is bent. I asked if it had ever been wrecked and the guy said no, but what else is he going to say. Any ideas on what else could be wrong, or what I can look at to confirm something? Any help is appreciated.

2. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Steve, That's one thing I always am leary about re: lift kits. If James has never been in an accident I would check to see if the axles were true-d up during the assembly stage of the lift kit install. 1. Are they square? 2. Are they centered side to side?
    Good luck!

"High compression engines take longer to start!"

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hi!
    The rear axle is 3" shorter than the front axle. When driving behind a Jimmy/Blazer you'l see it like you describe. The rear looks like it's dog-tailing after the front. I bought 1,5" spacers for the rear of mine and it looks bether now.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Espen is right, in most cases, it's just an optical illusion caused by the narrower rear axle.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you've ever had or have lifts blocks on the rear which had loosened up, they may have shifted in place or worn the perch hole oblong. This can shift your front to rear alignment. Given the front axle width difference and personal experience, its more likely the loose nut behind the wheel of the guy behind you.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

The rear axle is shorter and does look strange at certain angles. But if you are really worried about weather your truck has been wrecked or not. Have a body shop put it on a frame rack. It Shouldn't cost more than $50-75.

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ever think it could be the body on the frame. just a 1/4 inch could make it look that way.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

8. purple89jimmy

Anyone else? When I put the front springs on I did notice that it was very hard to fit the passenger spring into the shackles.

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OH MAN! I posted a super long post about how to measure the frame! I posted it the day the forums went nuts and new posts dissapeared! give me a bit and I will try to rewrite it.

Damn that post took forever to write too!

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine had a Jimmy that was doing the same thing. It was the first time either one of us ever put a lift in. As things turned out one of the spring pins wasn't put in correctly. Ofcourse he blamed it on me and said it was the side I did.

11. Pure Insanity

OK I have already written this once but it got eaten the day the posts dissapeared. So I will try to rewrite it.

It would be best to have a shop measure your truck for you. I have never checked to see if the computerized meauring system we have at work has our rigs on them, but I will check to see if they go back that far on Monday when I go to work. I have the computer hooked up to a car at work now.

To try to do it yourself, Find points along the frame that are in the same place on the left and right rails. Measure from the left front to the right rear points. Then measure from the right front to left rear points. The measurements should be close to equal, w/ in 1/4 in.

A frame that has a "diamond" is easy to get, and easy to repair. You can get a diamond from hitting 1 rail in something. Basicly it will push 1 rail back. You can also get it from pulling on someone from 1 rail. you will then pull 1 rail back. I have done this. I was snatching bushes out of a friends yard, The more beer we drank the bigger the bushes got, and turned into small trees. The last one I pulled was a real challenge, and I was ready to give up on it, and my buddies kept egging me on. I had about 100 feet of strap looped around this MASSIVE bush (that he later told me it had been there as long as he can remember, and he grew up in the house. He was 30!) I kept backing up and hitting it harder, till I backed up to the bush and hit it wide open. I had a cooler in the far back of my Cherokee by the gate that landed in the front seat when I hit the end of the strap. The bush finally came out. It left a hole in the ground about 3-4 feet round and 2 feet deep. [​IMG] The bush was so heavy I dug up his yard turning the tires over just dragging it to the fire pit. I never seen the bush up close until it was in the pit, the trunk was 6" or better in diameter. Thats what I get for staying in the truck and letting someone else hook me up. [​IMG]

But anyway, I managed to put a diamond in my frame and it would then drive down the road crooked till I fixed it. But you now get the idea of how it can happen from pulling. That and I get a kick outta telling that story. [​IMG]

OK on to measuring...I have looked under my Blazer, and there is no good points to measure from. The best I could find was the flange of the body mount and the flange of the rear spring hanger.

Now you will notice that the trans X-member is in the way to make a straight shot. It is best to use a "tram bar" which is basicly 2 pointers on a bar that can reach around obstructions. Or just find 2 points that are beyond the obstructions. In my case my mufflers hang about 1 1/2 inches below, so I still dont have a straight shot on mine.

It is best to try to make the X about close to even, or longer if possible. The shorter the X is the less accurate it is.

This is really one of those things that I do frequently but have a hard time explaining how to do it. All I can say is to try to find the best points you can to try to measure it from.

If I have confused you, shoot me a P/M.

PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

12. purple89jimmy

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can find something.

13. More than likely it is because of the shorter rear axle. Look at any older Chevy 4x4 and you will see the same thing. I used to think all Chevy 4 wheel drives had been wrecked, but it is only an optical illusion. 1 1/2 inch wheel spacers will cure the problem.

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

14. Pure Insanity

Also look for anything that is obvious, like small buckels in the rail that dont look right. Anywhere that it appears to have been heated, hammered or fresh undercoat.

GO</a>