Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross country trip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HD, Apr 26, 2004.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

We are finally moving back to Kentucky. I have a tow bar for the Blazer and we should have a ’99 2500 Suburban. I was wonder if you guy had any suggestion on flat towing that heavy beast (the Blazer).

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check with tRustyK5. He dragged a K5 behind a K5 from Texas to British Columbia a couple of years back. The biggest problem is going to be stopping with all the extra weight that doesn't have braking power.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

do you still have those 6 lug slotted wheels? I could do a Kentucky trip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Remove both driveshafts, at the yokes and secure to chassis. Check differential fluid levels. Disconnect speedo cable, unless you want to record the miles on chassis. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

No need to disconnect speedo if driveshaft is disconnected!

6. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

OOPS, Brain Miss! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You'll be illegal in most states towing it like that. The max you can tow without trailer brakes is 3000 lbs. The Blazer I flat towed was missing a bunch of parts including the motor, bumpers plus a lot of interior stuff was missing too. Even so mine weighed in at 3400 lbs.

My 81 Jimmy had no trouble towing it, most of the time I'd forget it was behind me until I checked the mirror. It did surprise me a few times, one time in particular getting onto the I-35 in witchita...the road was wet and the towed Blazer did a nice job pushing the back end of my Jimmy around. That was just enough to illustrate to me that I did need to be a bit more careful. Tight corners can be interesting...backing up is impossible.

I custom built my tow bar so it bolted up in between the frame rails rather than clamped to a factory bumper. Even so, I'd reccomend renting either a dolly with brakes or a full out car trailer. It'll be a much less stressful drive, and it'll be legal.

I got nailed as soon as I crossed back into Canada and had to have the Blazer towed by a tow truck the last 12 miles of the trip. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rene

8. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

How's this:
    [​IMG]

9. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do you still have those 6 lug slotted wheels? I could do a Kentucky trip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    No I sold them last weekend.

10. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd reccomend renting either a dolly with brakes or a full out car trailer. It'll be a much less stressful drive, and it'll be legal.
    Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know where I can rent a trailer. U-hauls' trailers are not wide enouth for 12.50's and they say they can only hold 4000lbs. I think that my K5 with the Diesel is about 5000lbs.

11. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Penske or Budget have trailers big enough. The one from Budget you want is the aluminum full bed trailer. You will have to put smaller tires on it of you want it to sit level. I didn't and come from CA to NC with the Jimmy sitting crooked the whole way but it was safe. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Where in Ky?....

13. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

A small place called Beverly, in Bell county. It's in the Daniel Boone National Forest, about an hour away from London, KY.